Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Wall mounted low profile linear actuator

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by H in OH, Jul 31, 2014.

1. H in OH

H in OH New
    Builder

Looking for a low profile linear actuator for vertical motion mounted to a wall. The Mini-V system looks interesting, but it has to be mounted out on a rail away from a wall.

My goal is to have a shallow shelf along a wall that moves up and down as an elevator on a model railroad.

Thanks,
    ---H

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

A few questions to get a better idea of what you are working toward....
    How much vertical motion are you looking for? What is the start and stop height above the floor?
    What is the weight on each lift and how far does the shelf extend from the wall?

3. H in OH

H in OH New
    Builder

Sorry, that first post was quite vague. The elevator shelf is the most complex part of the overall design, so I am letting the rest be flexible to the elevator solution.

Shelf size: 8 feet long (parallel to wall) and 5 inches wide (perpendicular to wall).
    Distance from wall: as close as possible.
    Vertical motion: 30 inches of travel, maybe 36 inches total rolling path.
    Start and stop heights: 4ft to 6.5 ft. above the floor.
    Weight: About 20 pounds of cargo plus the shelf and gantries. The shelf itself could be counter-weighted.

My first inclination is to have three vertical low profile tracks on the wall spaced from the edge of the shelf at 1 foot, 4 feet, and 7 feet (1 foot in from each edge an one in the center) with mini-V gantries on each. Then have one wide track mounted horizontally sticking out from all three gantries for the shelf itself.

I could use a more standard linear actuator underneath the shelf to push it up.

What is the lowest profile that a V-groove gantry can be attached to?

Is there an actuator that can be directly attached to a low profile gantry?

Thanks,
    ---H