Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Vulcan Pro

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Keith Davis, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Master
    Builder

Keith Davis published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. JustinTime

JustinTime Master
    Builder

Keith, in your BOM pdf there is an error. If you try the link for "Build plate 12x24x3/16 (1/2)" you get an Amazon listing for wheels.

3. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Master
    Builder

4. JustinTime

JustinTime Master
    Builder

I was going to use your extruder build that you've posted a year ago or so but I think I've read that you don't think it's the cat's meow, correct?

5. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Master
    Builder

There is no gain with that belt driven design. It weighs the same as my regular, simple, design 3dwrx :: Upgrade Your Printer and does not produce any advancement. And it's put together is like being married to a raccoon.

6. David Bunch

David Bunch Veteran
    Builder

I was initially looking at your build as an idea of putting a V-Slot frame around my 5 year old Makerfarm 10" Prusa i3v, but after looking at your BOM & looking at the parts I already have it might be worth my while to build this machine. I have been considering getting one of the 12" Tevo or Creality machines, but I don't like the Bowden setup & would probably want to change a few other things. If I build this, I probably won't start on it for a few months & maybe wait for black Friday sales in November.

Have you looked at sourcing some alternatives to the openbuilds parts from aliexpress? You can get a 10 pack of the Xtreme Mini V Wheels less bearings for $4.16. You can also get them with bearings for a little bit more, but I would probably get the better bearings from openbuilds. Those wheels are probably not as good of quality as openbuilds, but would be worth trying for that price. There are several places on there that sell these & I am not sure which is the best one.
    [link removed]

You can also get the 6 - T Joining plates for $10.67 (I added the shipping into the price).
    [link removed]

#6 David Bunch, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2019
  7. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Master
    Builder

Yes I have looked at other sources. In particular the wheels and T Join plates. I found T Join plates with black anodizing on Amazon for a reasonable price. I actually did the drawing images showing clear anodized because black T Join plates are so hard to find. Also, there are numerous v-wheel providers on Amazon with good prices. About half of them use the wrong thickness shim between bearings and that ruins the wheel, especially on the mini-v-wheels. Have to read the reviews to find the ones that are OK. I imagine the same problem exists on Aliexpress. Crazy that a Chinese manufacturer will tool up for a 1/2 million run and not bother to assemble and see if the parts work together.

8. David Bunch

David Bunch Veteran
    Builder

Most of the reviews on that site don't really give you much info & I suspect most are like the ones you mentioned on Amazon. Probably would be better to stick with known good wheels from openbuilds. I see the moderator removed my links. I will keep that in mind for future postings & not include links from China sites.