Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

VFD Spindle Control via OpenBuilds BlackBox Controller and Software

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Josh Lambeth, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Tony N

Tony N New
    Builder

Tried all the suggestions and still the same issue. At this point we are just going to return these units we purchased (3) and just order the 4x units that we know work.

Thanks for your efforts,
    Tony

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Can you post detailed pictures of your wiring (you can do so with your request to the store too - that will be the next question. Something is not done correctly, the 4X and X32 has exactly the same 0-10v stage - so the store is likely to question the wiring before approving a return too.

3. Tony N

Tony N New
    Builder

Tried this just now, did an eeprom reset, loaded a clean machine changes $30 to 24000 and saved, still with either the turn off spindle or direct M5 it will only slow down to 196rpm and does not shut off completely

Tony

4. Tony N

Tony N New
    Builder

The wiring is exactly the same, the only difference on the black box is the change from a four pin connector to a two pin connector, following the same +, and ground connections. And they go to the V1-10 connector on the X32 whereas the 4x had the four pin "Tool" connection

Attached Files:

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Thanks.

Wiring looks good, will take your word on BlackBox side

Between
    and
    almost an hour passed, so apologies if you do have to reconfirm, but did you do the measurement setup? I only ask because you only later checked the EEPROM, so not sure if the first check was all encompassing?

And then: Can we please do one more test to try to see whats different?

BlackBox 4X: Send M3S0 > Measure output between GND and 0-10v (multimeter in voltmeter mode)
    BlackBox X32 > Send M3S0 > Measure output between GND and 0-10v (multimeter in voltmeter mode)
    In both cases, with VFD disconnected

You also mention
    Did you test all of them - or just one?

This figure still bothers me the most though. With Min Freq correctly setup, the VFD should NEVER allow <6000RPM - so you you might want to recheck the VFD manual on that too...
    196 is effectively "off" when Min Freq is properly configured. What is your VFD's "PD0.11" Set to?

upload_2023-4-17_21-25-46.png

usually set to Spindle recommended minimum (6000 for water cooled, 7200 for Air cooled) divided by 60hz
    So for example 7200rpm / 60hz = PD011 of 120

6. Tony N

Tony N New
    Builder

7. Tony N

Tony N New
    Builder

Yes I tested both boxes M3S0 gives ten volts, M5S0 gives 0.00 volts as expected on both boxes. I tried the PD011 adjustment for 7200rpm for our air cooled spindle and with an M5 command it drops to 7200RPM but does not shut off.

Tony

8. Peter Van Der Walt

That is good to know, the X32 works correctly then.

I was guessing off the manual, so that's not the right parameter yet. I don't have a Huangyuan on hand to help test, but check the manual again. Something on the VFD definitely needs more setting up. Run source, frequency source, minimum (not PD011, something else) still needs work

9. Tony N

Tony N New
    Builder

Thanks for the Help, I will go back to it tomorrow and go over all the VFD settings to see if there is anything that will completely stop the spindle, fortunately we do have two other machines up and running and this is a slow week for production work.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  10. Peter Van Der Walt

When you get a chance, drop the exact VFD model number in here (or the correct manual if you have a link), just in case I was looking at the wrong manual (there are subtle differences sometimes)

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Found something here HY SERIES VFD AND BLACKBOX SET-UP OPTIONS also says PD011 should have been the one, but it should be 0 to enable shutdown apparently

12. Tony N

Tony N New
    Builder

We have the HY01D511B VFD and the manual we have is from the online reseller in china and here is the link since it is 30mb file https://www.paycnc.com/u_file/2108/file/17ab373f59.pdf
    The manual doesnt list the HY01D511B but the selling site lists this manual and it matches our printed copy that was packed with the spindle/vfd set.

Attached Files:

13. Peter Van Der Walt

Looks to describe PD0.11 the same as the one I had one hand. Do check my other post above linking to the resources section

14. Xander1983

Builder

I'm having a issue. I followed everything to a T and read and watched everything 10 times. But when I click the tool in openbuilds and turn the spindle on to 75% with $30 being set at 24,000 rpm. The vfd only shows the spindle running at 7824 rpms. Doesn't matter what I do even commands m3 s10000 it still stops at 7824 rpms on the front of the box. How do I fix this

15. Peter Van Der Walt

Recheck all your VFD parameters

16. Xander1983

Builder

I found out that I was suppose to be connected into the 0-10v on the blackbox x32. Not the tool port but even after doing that if I type m3 s18000 the spindle goes to 16800. How do I fix that? I'm guessing with the 0-10v control knob.

17. Peter Van Der Walt

Have you tried the Blackbox Documentation? Incorrect wiring could also have caused damage so do the multimeter check and calibration step as outlined in the 0-10v section of the BlackBox Documentation first.

18. Siol

Siol New
    Builder

Hi, I'm looking for help setting up my openbuilds x32 blackbox, I have a SPAM Ultimatebee with a huanyang HY02D223B 2.2 water cooled spindle which is uk 220 v.
    Would anyone have the VFD settings for this spindle..?
    Much appreciated..

19. Xander1983

Builder

Yes and the video in this section was listed in there. But the document never said to hook up to the 0-10v. The video is of the old blackbox not the blackbox x32. Since I bought my ultimate bee I feel like I've been flying half blind trying to figure out how to put it all together. Lol now I'm going back through the blackbox guides to see how to set everything so that m3 s18000 doesn't make the spindle run 16800

20. Peter Van Der Walt

Its in docs:blackbox-x32:connect-vfd [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Check that you do get 10v at Max RPM (Using Tool On menu in CONTROL, or M3Sxxxx where xxxx = value of $30) with a multimeter. If not adjust. That's it for the BlackBox side, simple as can be - the 0-10v signal is now available.

We provide the 0-10v signal, whatever 3rd party spindle it has to connect to, it actually not up to us to document - some community members has kindly provided writeups - but the key thing is your Spindle vendor (To provide parameters to match spindle to VFD) and your VFD manual (To provide details on how to set it up to accept a 0-10v signal, how to make it arm/disarm itself (min freq parameter), and how to wire it)

VFDs are troublesome, and hard to setup. If you want to keep it for someday - a RoutER11 CNC Kit is our recommended spindle option. Plug and play.

21. Peter Van Der Walt

Check out your VFDs manual, and ask the vendor you purchased it from.
    your Spindle vendor (To provide parameters to match spindle to VFD) and your VFD manual (To provide details on how to set it up to accept a 0-10v signal, how to make it arm/disarm itself (min freq parameter), and how to wire it) will have the info you need.

22. Juju

Juju New
    Builder

Hello, usb port isolator solution

23. JOSE F.

JOSE F. New
    Builder

Hello,
    I have the same spindle and Vfd as Josh Lambeth(original poster) same set-up except for I have the X32 controller.
    It runs manually off the vfd fine but not on the x32 controller, it just makes a clicking sound when I enter m3sxxxx and m5.

Thanks,
    Jo

24. Peter Van Der Walt

But did you tell the VFD to ignore the front panel, and use the inputs instead?

25. JOSE F.

JOSE F. New
    Builder

Yes, I started in manual to make sure everything was good. I then set the parameters to work off the X32 Controller.

26. Peter Van Der Walt

Did you remember the jumper wire?
    Otherwise it might still be a wrong setting somewhere, best to

a) check the BB as documented: docs:blackbox-x32:connect-vfd [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    We provide the standard 0-10v signal
    b) from there onward its all configured on the VFD, so might be best to ask the vendor you bought it from

27. JOSE F.

JOSE F. New
    Builder

I did jump j1, besides setting $30 and $31 there are no other parameters to change?

28. Peter Van Der Walt

Nope, the BlackBox is that simple. Here's your 0-10v industry standard signal. 2 wires with an industry standard variable voltage on it Read the docs linked above. Check it with a multimeter. That's where our line of support stops.

EVERYTHING else happens on the VFD. That's where its important to buy from a vendor who can support their end of the setup.

29. FrankTaylor66

Builder

I've been looking for this exact info and couldn't find it anywhere. Thank you SO much, I get to keep some of my hair :)

30. Brealy

Brealy New
    Builder

i just upgraded my BlackBox from 4x to X32. Previously my VFD operated perfectly. Now the spindle will not completely shut off with tool off command the spindle still rotates at 100is rpms. The blackbox x32 always has .53 volts even after tool off. Has it been determined that indeed PD011 has to have a value currently i have a value of 0. Should i change the value to 100 for my watercooled spindle?

Secondarily I trimmed the voltage at the blackbox to 10.0v at 24,000 rpms but lower rpms do not operate exactly. Example at 18,000 rpm the vfd is showing 16800