Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

VFD input wiring diagram / schematic

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by Jeremiah Brown, Feb 5, 2022.

1. Jeremiah Brown

Builder

Looking for a wiring diagram / schematic for the input side of a VFD. I’d like to see how others have wired their VFDs, contactor, on/off, estop, etc.

Thanks!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Jeremiah Brown likes this.
  3. Jeremiah Brown

Builder

My fault, I should have specified more detail -

Does anyone have a wiring diagram / schematic for the input side of the VFD, specifically:

1. Power in
    2. Contactors
    3. Line reactors
    4. On/off switches or buttons
    5. E-stop

I have the VFD manual and it shows the setup as power source < circuit breaker < contactor < line reactor < input emi filter < VFD.

However, several individuals have also mentioned that a better way to set up the VFD to protect against inrush current and voltage spikes is to connect the on/off switches or buttons on the VFD inputs, and to use the VFD inputs for the E-stop as well. This way the VFD sits idle with power to the unit using the e-stop to disengage the VFD functions rather than killing the power altogether.

Does anyone have a good schematic of this style set up?

Thank you!

4. Jeremiah Brown

Builder

Where would you recommend wiring an E-stop? I can’t seem to find any info on using an e-stop at the VFD control circuit terminals.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Cut mains power to everything.
    Wall outlet > Safety Power Tool Switch > power strip > Everything else

My definition of an Emergency is "What if the power strip is on fire" and "what if the VFD is on fire" - in an emergency I want to cut power. I don't want to send pause signals and graceful shutdowns to a controller that may or may not be receiving it, nor do i want try and figure out mid panic whether stopping the spindle, or the machine - is best course of action. I want EVERYTHING to stop having power, whether it was moving or not. :)

Jeremiah Brown likes this.
  6. Jeremiah Brown

Builder

Right, and my original plan was to do exactly that - put the e-stop on my single mains line, before or after my contactor. The problem is that I get conflicting opinions on where the e-stop and on/off should be with respect to the VFD.

The VFD manual (4kW GT series Huanyang) shows:
    mains<Circuit breaker<Contactor<line reactor (large voltage applications)<emi filter<VFD

The manual and various literature states not to use the circuit breaker or contactor to switch the VFD on/off - (e-stop being just another on/off).

instead, I should be switching at the VFD to minimize/reduce the possibility of damage. When I look through the literature that I have, I cannot find where I should tie in the on/off/e-stop.

this is what I have so far:

Attached Files:

7. FlatBaller

Builder

I use 2 e-stops.
    One kills everything, the other is a graceful GRBL e-stop.

Attached Files:

8. Jeremiah Brown

Builder

Thank you, I appreciate the share. I decide to go a different route with this and simply made a single on/off/e-stop that splits into the 120v control circuit and a dedicated 240v motor circuit. I ended up just using the VFD manufacturers schematic, despite advice from industry tell me to go a different route. I did this for two reasons, the industry pros might be making assumptions into how my particular model VFD works, or, they may not be, but either way if it fails I can still point to the manufacturer manual and say this is what you recommended and I'd like to do a warranty claim.