Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Using Delrin blocks instead of wheels on gantry.

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Raghav Srivastava, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Raghav Srivastava

Builder

Hi.. short time lurked, first time poster here..

so I found out what a CNC was about two months ago.. And had to have one! As such I started making the plans and ordering the parts.. And am running into a major fundage issue to the point where building all the gantry plates with wheels seems to unfortunately be a stretch.. Now I do have 10 wheels on the way..But I also have these delrin blocks.. So I was considering sandwiching these blocks between two 20mm by 500mm vslot extrusions with another block on top of the top extrusion, and have these two blocks connected on one side so this whole setup of three blocks wraps around the top extrusion like a C.This setup would be driven by an acme 4 start screw that could potentially go through the piece connecting the upper and lower blocks.. And be appropriately tapped to reduce backlash. Any feedback on why this would be a bad idea for a first attempt proof of concept kinda thing..I would live to hear it

Thanks!

Raghav

2. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I think a drawing or sketch might be useful here. I'm trying to picture what you're saying, but can't quite get it.
    We do however, enjoy hearing from, and encourage, people who think outside of the box, so please feel free to enhance your idea here. :thumbsup:
    Necessity being the mother of invention.
    Gray