Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Using a webcam and a calibration cube to move X and Y to a position

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by SeanD, Apr 15, 2021.

1. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

I had an idea of installing a webcam about my CNC pointing down and placing a cube with a QR like image on its top surface somewhere on my CNC bed then sending this information to OpenBuilds Control.

Does anyone know if this is possible or already been done? I am not sure if the OpenBuilds software can receive a command from an external program and move to those coordinates, but I would like to give it a try.

I code most of my desktop apps in Visual Studio C# - would have to research a LOT about webcam interfacing, how to calibrate the corners of my bed and the correct for lens distortion as well as finding the cube then converting it into physical coordinates.

I am just kinda looking for some input if anyone has any thoughts. The main use would be to auto locate the corner of my workpiece.

Thanks in advance. All comments or ideas are welcome.

Mark Carew likes this.
  2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

No kidding we were just discussing this same idea, yesterday in a Think Tank Talk here at OpenBuilds HQ!
    We feel it could be done but there are a lot of projects in the works so this is one of those in the back burner for us for now but if your diving in it will be great to see what your findings are. :thumbsup:

3. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

My other idea was with a laser pointer.. but that seems a little dangerous

4. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

Do you think I should maybe look at a library in JavaScript then? Not sure of the limitations about gathering web cam feeds and processing inside a website but if I could magically have that working tomorrow it might be easier to implement. I would also probably want to make sure there is safety features like the spindle being off and a picture taken prior to the cube then a picture afterwards to compare and make sure an arm isn’t still in the way.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder