Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

USB Connection Issue

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Rhyja, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Rhyja

Rhyja New
    Builder

I seen that there is alot of discussion here about usb connection issues however i've submitted a couple of tickets and havent heard anything back yet.

I recently bought a blackbox motion control system from you along with other parts (order number #4848 January 29 2021). I am now having a problem with the BlackBox. Everything was working fine when all of a sudden it disconnected from the system. Nothing in my setup has changed, the laptop that i use is strictly used for my cnc machine, It has been operating fine since the setup. As i said earlier i have been running this setup without any black box issues, all the equipment was bought from makerparts.ca as i am in Canada

The following is what is get for an error
    [09:39:37] [ connect ] PORT INFO: Port is now open: COM3 - Attempting to detect Firmware

[09:39:37] [ connect ] Checking for firmware on COM3

[09:39:37] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 1 (Autoreset)

[09:39:38] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 2 (Ctrl+X)

[09:39:39] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 3 (others that are not supported)

[09:39:41] [ connect ] ERROR!: No supported firmware detected - See docs:blackbox:faq-usb-connection-failed [OpenBuilds Documentation] for more details. Closing port COM3

[09:39:42] [ disconnect ] PORT INFO: Port closed

I thoroughly went through every stop in the above documentation without any success

I tried 4 different usb cables

I tired 2 different laptops

I submitted two tickets and i havent heard anything back as of yet

I looked at the open builds forum, and from other post with similar problems it appears that the Brains Board is the problem.

Please advise as to next step in getting this resolved.

Regards

Patrick

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Make sure you submit via the "Submit new ticket" link on Support and also Check your spam folder (might already have a reply in there)

Wiring mistakes, can cause permanent damage to the Brains board yes, so while you are waiting on a reply, go back and work through the wiring and find what could have caused your short (there are warnings on relevant pages of the BlackBox documentation) - the Store will likely ask you for this information as well, as it would be critical to identify the cause, to prevent a repeat of the damage.

3. Rhyja

Rhyja New
    Builder

4. Rhyja

Rhyja New
    Builder

Hi Peter

Thank you fro the reply, i did infact just receive an email from support, i looked at all my wiring including the wiring in the power supply and on my equipment. I wasnt able to find any wiring issues, i also took the cover off the black box to look for signs of a short and i didn't see anything either. The stores support said they would replace the box however i bought it through makerparts.ca (official distributor in canada) so im not sure if this will make a difference or not.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Good stuff, they always sort people out right away. If you do find anything, its just to prevent killing a second one though (; so do check carefully. Which limit switches do you have? Micro or Xtensions?

6. Rhyja

Rhyja New
    Builder

i have the Xtensions and the Meanwell 24v power supplies was purchased from makerparts.ca. i will again thoroughly look through all the wiring including the wires themselves and not just the connection points, if i see anything that may be of concern i will post pictures

7. Rhyja

Rhyja New
    Builder

Also not sure if this means anything to you or not but my power supply and blackbox and not attached to any conductive material right now they are attached to a sheet of plywood away from my table and plasma cutter. To also try a minimize any emi issues I run my laptop from the battery and not the plug in

8. Peter Van Der Walt

High voltage HF start type? Propely earthed to an earth spike as per its manual?

9. Rhyja

Rhyja New
    Builder

Sorry for the delay in response, My plasma cutter is a Longevity Forcecut 62i running on a 220 v at 40amps, Following is the information for FORCECUT 62i Plasma Cutter.

"Pilot Arc

On out-of-date plasma cutters, when the arc is interrupted the trigger must be disengaged to restart the arc. With the FORCECUT 62i plasma cutter, the Pilot Arc system automatically senses the loss of voltage and re-ignites the Pilot Arc allowing for the torch head to maintain an arc when cutting. This is effectively allowing you to not worry about the cutting height, cut speed, and it allows you to cut expanded metal. Pilot Arc technology allows for you to always have power to the arc which increases your cutting speed and assists with uneven cutting surfaces.

Built-In Air Filter And Regulator

Built-in gas/air filter and regulator provides air filtration of airborne particles to keep the FORCECUT 62i cutting clean and efficiently.

Blowback Arc Start/CNC Ready

The FORCECUT 62i starts the arc by creating an internal spark to ignite the plasma arc. By using air pressure to move the electrode against the nozzle, the FORCECUT 62i creates the arc without any need for high frequency. This allows for easier CNC table integration without the worry of interference. "

I just received the replacement box on Friday. however im going over everything before hooking it up again

another FYI

at the trigger for the torch i read about 23.8 v and down to 2 v when the trigger is pressed. Everything is properly grounded.

10. Peter Van Der Walt

That is good news, the cheaper HF inverters can create more dangerous EMI fields.

Unless you accidentally wired the Plasma electrode or clamp into the DC circuitry its unlikely to have been the cause. Is your cutting bed / plasma clamp isolated from the machine frame?