Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Upgrading BoB's CNC e3 to use BlackBox X32

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by ScottM, Dec 9, 2022.

1. ScottM

ScottM New
    Builder

I picked up a used BoB's CNC e3 a while back, and had a lot of fun with the Arduino controller board, but ultimately, I wanted to make it better and more fun. Then, I saw the Interface!! I was in love at first sight. So I picked one up and the new BlackBox X32, and figured I would spend a couple of hours upgrading the router.

THREE ... DAYS ... LATER

Still struggling.

The first hurdle was the Y2 motor not working. I spent hours checking cable connections, re-soldering wires, and troubleshooting the connection. Only to find that it was a firmware issue. But that was resolved quickly, and the time spent with the cabling, troubleshooting, and the interface were very helpful.

The second hurdle are the grbl settings. Since the BoB's CNC is not an option in the config menu, I had to start with the settings recommended by BoB, and make changes as I go. At a minimum, I can jog the cutting head! So, partial success.

My issues are as follows:
    1. Limit switches are not limiting! They work fine in the troubleshooting window, and they activate properly when I push them with my finger, and when I jog in the correct direction. When I attempt to Home All, the Z-Axis works. I see the head go up, touch the switch, and come back. Then it tries the Y-Axis, goes all the way to the limit switch, and keeps on going!! So, it is ignoring the limit switch? I have $21 enabled for hard limits!! But I guess that must not be hard enough.
    2. The X-Axis works fine (I think) on little steps, but when I try bigger ones, it appears to skip. I increased the current on the X motor, and now it just skips steps louder and angrier!!
    3. Z-Probing limits also do not seem to work right. I have the XYZ probe, and I can go through the Z-probe wizard, and it appears work, but when I tell it to go to Z-0, It tries to drill to China. No stopping.
    If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! (Also, I'll be on holiday all next week, and away from my machine, so I won't be able to mess with it until I get back. Unless I can figure out how to pack it in my suitcase... hmm.

Thanks, All!

2. ScottM

ScottM New
    Builder

Got some help calibrating $100, $101, and $102 so I have better steps/mm now. Still some issues with XYZ probe, and the X-Axis is questionable.

Oh, and the Home All works now too. Amazing what a little calibration can do. :)

David the swarfer likes this.
  3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Accurate moves working 100% first, before relying on the Probe yes

4. ScottM

ScottM New
    Builder

Yeah, X is still messed up. Its missing steps for sure. I did a Home All, and then told it to go back to Work Zero. Z and Y were perfect, but X is off by 60mm !! (and it still sounds angry)

5. Peter Van Der Walt

6. ScottM

ScottM New
    Builder

I've checked that multiple times. I think it might be mechanical. Time to disassemble, check the bearings, and install a new M2 belt.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  7. Peter Van Der Walt

Loss of position on a belt driven machine - first thing to check = Grubscrews on the pulleys!

8. ScottM

ScottM New
    Builder

Pulley is solid. I cleaned all of the components, and the move freely now. Previously they were caked with saw dust. I wonder where that came from? LOL. Still gets stuck. So, I'll drop in a new nema-17 from an old 3d-printer I had laying around. Maybe that help.

9. ScottM

ScottM New
    Builder

Oh Mah Gawd! That was it. The stepper was the problem. I know that it is rare for these to fail, but I think it was the bearing internally. As soon as I removed it and rotated the shaft with my fingers, I could feel the resistance. The new motor has resolved the X-Axis issue!

10. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

Nema17 on a router? hmm, I would not bother (-: Nema23 highpower if my google of that machine gave me the correct picture.

11. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

I use a fishing scale to pull the belt tension to a known value, in my case 12kg. You will need some extra hands to pull and tighten and prevent the machine coming off the table (-: