Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Units in SketchUcam

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Cornerspace, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Cornerspace

Builder

Does anyone get as confused over the units of measurements used for Cbeam? Is it in mm or inches? Admittedly I am using Sketchup with SketchUCam for the design and the settings for feeds and speeds is driving me crazy. Trying to figure out if the units I am to be using are supposed to be in metric or non metric ( I am coming from a world of metric units). Getting a headache and a couple of burnt bits.

For sketchuCam users, are the talking metric or inches? Especially their speeds and plunge settings?

Help........ :(

2. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

There is a plugin for SketchUp that lets you click on it to change from inches to mm and vise versa. It will make it easier for you to deal with the metric/imperial subject.

I normally measure a line in an imported file to see if it's in mm or inches and than I either keep it the way it is or change it with the above mentioned plugin.

As for speed and plunge settings, if it is not clear on the list you look up make it mm rather than inches since it's slower and go up from there.

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Sketchucam uses the units that are set for the document. Just choose what you like and carry on (and C-beams are designed in mm AFAIK).
    If you find that numbers in the setting panel are being rounded then you need to increase the precision of the model units.
    Window|Model Info|Units
    upload_2021-3-29_10-49-50.png

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Sketchup will allow you to enter 'the other unit' if you specify it.
    So if you current units are mm but you want to enter 1/8" you can type 0.125" in the edit box and sketchup will translate for you.
    sometimes you can even input 1/8" and that will work but I have found that to fail sometimes for unknown reasons.

5. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

Both of your replies are correct. I live in North America and we use here that archaic Imperial system, mostly. When I design stuff I use both systems at the same time since I find it much easier to be precise in the metric system than in the Imperial with these ridicules 1/16" and 1/32" and so forth. That plugin I mentioned above makes it oh so easy to change from one to the other on the fly, as I do many times each SketchUp session.

David the swarfer likes this.