Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Uneven depth of profile cut from one side to another with OOZnest 1500x1500

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by MplsArtist, Feb 3, 2018.

1. MplsArtist

MplsArtist Journeyman
    Builder

I'm cutting out shapes from 3/4" Baltic Birch (with a black laminate on the face) for my sculptures, and getting uneven depth of profile cuts from one side of each piece to the other. The strange thing is that the right side of each piece being cut, is cut too shallow, requiring me to manually finish the cuts with a hand held Dremel Tool. The spoil board has been leveled. The gantry is level to the spoil board. The collet of the router is also level to the spoil board.This behavior is pretty consistent from one side of a 4'x4" piece of board to the other side.

I'm using the OOZnest 1500x1500 with a Dewalt 611 router, Whiteside 1/4" spiral up cut bit. I'm using Vectric Cut2D Pro with the following settings:
    Board thickness: 0.714
    Start depth: 0.025
    Total thickness entered: 0.739
    Total cut depth entered: 0.739
    Individual pass depth: 0.0616
    Total passes: 12
    Conventional cut
    Feed rate: 80 ipm
    Allowance offset: 0.04
    Separate last pass
    No reverse direction
    No allowance
    3D tab thickness: 0.125
    3D tab length: 0.35

I've attached a photo so that you can get a better idea of the problem. I can't determine if this is a mechanical problem or a software problem where the last pass is not cutting to full depth. Any ideas?
    Shallow Right Side cuts.jpg

2. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Veteran
    Builder

The feed rate is too fast. The cut depth should be increased.

3. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

Are you starting your z-zero on top of the material you are cutting, or the spoil board? You could try zeroing on the spoil board and cut it again if you are not. This is what I do. What I like about it is that I never cut into the spoil board. It amazes me how accurate these machines are that I can fully cut through the material without leaving a mark below it.

GrayUK likes this.
  4. MplsArtist

MplsArtist Journeyman
    Builder

Craig:
    After posting this same thread on the Vectric forum, someone on that site suggested the same solution. I also used a 4' spirit level to discover that my whole table was racked. After readjusting the table level in both the x & y axis, I readjusted the router mount to assure level in x & y as well to assure that my router bit was plumb. This morning, I will be re-doing my spoil board to assure it is also level in x & y as well. After that, I will do a test cut using the spoil board as my zero instead of the top of the material. I'll let you know the results.

5. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

My first instinct was the bed wasn't level, but you mentioned it was. I actually wrote a big long thing about zeroing on top the work and how it may not cut through in some areas if the bed is not level and you zeroed on the high spot. I edited it when I reread your post. :) I am glad you got it sorted out.