Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

TV Wall Panel lift

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by maartenvant, May 10, 2021.

1. maartenvant

Builder

It all started with an idea to have my TV hidden behind a panel in my wall. When you would wanna watch TV, a panel would move back and will slide up behind the wall and the TV would slide to the front. When you are done watching TV, the TV would slide back and the panel would slide down and towards the from and the TV is hidden behind the wall.

So the lift is based on 3 moving components:
    1. Wall panel move back and forth
    2. Wall panel moves up and down
    3. TV moves back and forth
    I have tried multiple options regarding my first part of the build, the wall panel part (component 2) and my current setup is as followed:

Wall panel parts for (component 2):
    • 2 x C-Beam 1540mm (Profile dimensions: 40x80mm Profile type: V-SLOT)
    • 2 x 8mm Lead Screw - 1540mm
    • 2 x Mini V Gantry with V-slot wheels
    • 2 x NEMA 23 Stepper motor
    • 2 x TB6600 Stepper driver
    • Some limit switches
    • Arduino Mega + code (happy to share the code)
    All is working well and with the 2 NEMA 23 stepper motors on top of the c-beam driving the lead screws and which pull or push the gantry plates. This would hold my wall panel to slide behind the wall.

The challenge I'm currently facing is the sound of all the moving parts. I have tweaked most of the hardware, used tensioning nuts to tension the lead screws between the c-beam plates as vibration can create noise related to the length of the lead screws. Tweaked my code and found the most silent combination as possible for both speed and noise on my stepper motors and drivers. However, still it makes too much noise. You can imagine you do not want to hear a lot of noise when you open or close your TV wall...

I'm now thinking of replacing my stepper motors for DC motors. However I do not really know which DC motors I can best use in above project. Is this the best option to reduce noice? what would be the best option related to torque (speed is not the most important one, however do not want to wait 10 min before my TV is visible :D ).

Or does someone have a better idea I could use to drive this component.

Thanks and happy to provide more information, photos and videos of useful.

Maarten

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

(; theres the source of the noise

Try some Wantai DQ542MAs - or if you really want silent, the Trinamic stuff (though lower on torque)

Rob Taylor likes this.
  3. maartenvant

Builder

Thanks Peter, was not expecting this component to be the source of the issue... I will order 2 x Wantai DQ542MA stepper driver. I will let you know if this solved my issues.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.