Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Tramming questions

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Scotty Orr, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

I just surfaced a spoil board on my MMXL (very similar to a C-beam machine). I used a pocket cut, so it was very easy to see tramming issues in both X and Y directions.

My router is a Makita mounted in the OB spindle mount with a 3D-printed adapter.

So my questions have to do with where to make adjustments.

To correct for ridges in the X direction, should I shim the Z-axis assembly or the X gantry?
    To correct for ridges in the Y direction, should I rotate the Z-axis assembly or just the spindle mount? EDIT: Found the problem for these ridges. (Answer is rotate the whole assembly.)
    Or can I just shim inside the printed router?

BTW, the ridges are not huge (the Y ridges are biggest).

Thanks,
    Scotty

#1 Scotty Orr, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

Found the problem with my Y-direction ridges. Now that the table is surfaced, A square shows the Z-axis C-beam is obviously not square to the table. I'll have to rotate it into square.

I suspect that shimming the lower edge of both ends of the X-axis C-beam is what is needed for the X-direction ridges.

Was hoping not to have to disassemble that much stuff.....

3. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Scotty Orr
    Perhaps a "Note to Selves" would be:- :rolleyes:
    Check, and double check, all levels and squares, as you progress through the build. :thumbsup:
    I know I've been caught myself with similar problems, and they could have been so easily sorted at the time. :cry:
    Being Pedantic can sometimes be a good thing when building a CNC.
    Anyway, glad you found the problem and can get it sorted. :)

4. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

Yeah. Part of the problem was I originally assembled it on a surface that was pretty uneven. I later moved it to a more level surface, and readjusted the build - but I failed to check the tower. :banghead:

I am doing a full rebuild soon (to expand/modify it), and I will build the new version on a torsion box. Unfortunately, I've got to use it first to cut a few parts for the modifications - so........