Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Touch Probe shorted Blackbox, Firmware Error

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Heather Meaney, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Heather Meaney

Builder

Hi, I'm not electronic-savvy so please bare with me.

I was using the touch probe, and after completing the probe I removed the magnet from the router and something happened to make the touch probe send a surge through my blackbox and turned my laptop off. I know this is very bad, and I'm glad my laptop was able to reboot. It turns out the screw was slightly loose on the probe and for some reason that was the cause.

THe problem now is I can't connect to Openbuilds Control to Blackbox. I've disconnected all the motors and probe from blackbox so it's only connection is the USB, and there is no luck connecting. The blackbox is turning on, but I'm getting the "ERROR!: No supported firmware detected - See docs:blackbox:faq-usb-connection-failed [OpenBuilds Documentation] for more details. Closing port COM3" message.

A support ticket has been submitted, but has anyone had this issue, and do I just need a new blackbox at this point?

Thank you!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Heather Meaney

Builder

Thanks Peter, do you know approximately how long it takes to receive a response? I'm wondering if I should order a new blackbox now, I'm under some tight project deadlines

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Usually a couple minutes, check your spam folder

I would advise ordering a replacement if you are in a hurry, probably permanent damage from a short circuit coming off the loose wire. Good reminder to go over and check all terminals are still nice and tight (along with other regular maintanance) to prevent mishaps

5. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

Check your grounding. I suspect that the machine and laptop have different 'ground', if you put a AC voltmeter between the laptop (casing of the usb port) and the spindle you will probably see many volts. It should be zero.
    docs:blackbox:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation]

6. Heather Meaney

Builder

Interesting! I gave this some thought, and the laptop charger we use in our shop doesn't have the third prong for grounding, so this is definitely the culprit.
    Once I replace that charging cable, that probably won't fix the blackbox.... right?

It's odd, the touch probe still works, the light on the blackbox turns on when I test it. And the USB light flashes red when I connect it to the laptop....

Still waiting on a response from the support team, I had to bite the bullet and order a new blackbox in case I can't figure this out in time.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

If you followed the FAQ link from the error, and that did not resolve the connection issue, the BlackBox is indeed dead. Agreed with David, do check everything to avoid recurrance. But might be as simple as shorting V+ to GND right at the probe. Which wire was loose