Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

To C-beam or not to C-beam that is the question

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Rodm, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Rodm

Rodm Well-Known
    Builder

Hi,
    So I've started ordering parts for my build. I'm reviewing my openbuilds part list and this is the last thing I need to decide before placing the order. I decided to lengthen the y to 1500. I see alot of the HD - beefed up ox's use a stiffener plate. That would mean I couldn't fasten the rail to spoiler board which I had planned to do to help stiffen things up. Am I right thinking it's not a good idea to have a free spanning 1500mm 8020 rail for the y ? I'm considering using a C-beam, stiffener plate and the planned dbl belt system. That or the 8020, no stiffener and fasten it to spoiler board. Any opinions?

2. Jonathon Duerig

Jonathon Duerig Journeyman
    Builder

Personally, I would pretty much always go for the C-Beam here. There is no extra weight cost to having a C-Beam on the Y-axis. It is going to be stronger and stiffer than 20x80 beam. And you can put your belts away from the dust by putting them in the trench. Plus, the fact that it is two slots wide makes it much easier to attach.

-D

3. Rodm

Rodm Well-Known
    Builder

Now that you mention it I seem to remember seeing something like that idea in a post. Can't find it now. Do you have any info on how to - plate files?

Thanks

4. Jonathon Duerig

Jonathon Duerig Journeyman
    Builder

I haven't seen an OX variant with the belt inside the trench yet. But I think there must be a build or two that has tried it.

What I'm seriously considering is trying to make a Rack and Pinion system with the rack mounted inside the C-beam trench like this build:

Kyoujin Mk1 (C-Beam /w Rack & Pinion)

Very tempting indeed.

-D

JimJ likes this.