Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

thinking of buying the mini mill

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by manakawari, Feb 3, 2023.

1. manakawari

Builder

i am looking to build the smallest possible affordable machine capable of cutting soft metals and after researching for a while i have decided the openbuilds minimill is my best option...i will be using for jewelry so i really dont need a work area larger than 3" x 3" so the work area of 4.5"x axis x 10" y axis for the minimill is more than enough. i plan on reenforcing the machine with laser cut steel sheet and bolting to a 1/2 plate of steel for added stability but i would like to also enclose the machine since it will be a desktop machine and i dont want chips everywhere.
    because i only need 3" x 3" work area and plan to enclose, i would like the travel as short as possible on my build and im wondering if those who have a mini mill, if you could tell me if you know of any reason why i cant cut the C beams so they are shorter? i understand the design was made for stability but since im bolting to a large steel plate, other than stability, is there any reason why i cant reduce the work area to 4" x 4" by cutting the C beams? or maybe instead of cutting, just replace the stock Y axis beam with another x axis beam effectively giving me a 4.5" x 4.5" machine that will more easily enclose? . i would also like to replace the wheels with linear rails. has anyone done that and can recommend a supplier the correct length?
    please let me know.

2. that-jim

that-jim Journeyman
    Builder

Rick 2.0 likes this.
  3. that-jim

that-jim Journeyman
    Builder

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The actual usable area of the mini-mill is actually only 4.5"x4.5" so yes the extra 75mm of the Y-axis actuator that sticks out the front is unnecessary and can be removed. Just ask the shop to cut 75mm off the Y-axis C-Beam and the lead screw and they usually have no issue with such requests.

But before you go there, scan through this video series starting at the bottom. It shows suggestions on reinforcing a mini-mill.

5. manakawari

Builder

hey thanks so much for the reply but instead of cutting the y axis, couldnt i just buy another x axis and just use two of those?

6. manakawari

Builder

wow this is interesting. thanks . you might be right, this would be easier to enclose and maybe even more stable

7. manakawari

Builder

this is actually perfect!!! thanks so much!! im going to make it a tiny bit smaller, mount it to a heavy steel plate and add steel laser cut side pannels and laser cut an acrylic enclosure and it will be literally exactly what i was thinking!!!!! with this design i can actually use the enclosure as additional support so it will make the machine stronger...the minimill enclosure would have done nothing to add support..thanks again!

8. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

i advise against cutting short, especially Z, you always need room for a longer tool, or a taller workpeice or fixture

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.