Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Testing Anti-Backlash Nut

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by F Kaylor, Aug 10, 2018.

1. F Kaylor

F Kaylor New
    Builder

I made what I think would be called an anti-backlash nut but want to test it for backlash...of course. It has 0 backlash when new but how long will it last before needing adjusting or replacing...so my question is about how to write a macro in UGS to run a stepper for a predetermined distance, reverse for the same distance and keep doing it until the program is stopped manually. I'll use the controller and stepper from an old CNC router driving a lead screw. The anti-backlash nut would be under a moderate load. After some time yet to be determined, I'll stop it and compare backlash against when it was new. Possible? Or should I say "reasonably possible".
    Thanks....FK

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I do not think that grbl can support sub routines but really the best thing would be to take advantage of the macros in UGS like you mentioned. I am not familiar with the workings of UGS but you could also write a and copy and paste a simple loop for as many times as you need it. Kinda a hack way to do it but it would work :) Looking forward to seeing how you make out and your idea for the antibacklah nut results. :thumbsup:

3. F Kaylor

F Kaylor New
    Builder

That worked perfectly Mark! Thanks. I had to play around with just how to write the macro, but finally figured it out. I haven't set up the test rig just yet so the macro only goes through 4 cycles...will cut and paste a number of times...not sure how long the macro can be, but will find out!
    Thanks again for your help!
    FK