Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

T-Slot wheels

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by glennpierce, Oct 24, 2018.

1. glennpierce

Builder

I recently got hold of a large old desk that was being thrown out that was made of 30x30 and 30x60mm T-slot extrusion. I did want to make something like the Openbuilds ox cnc with this if possible.

Are there any wheels / gantry plates that are compatible with T-slot ?

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The basic reason behind V-slot being created had to do with how poorly wheels perform on T-slot so there is really not a direct or easy path toward what you seek. The framing pieces you have to work with however do offer a substantial start to a system. I can offer a couple of suggestions based on what I have seen over the years. One would be installing a square steel rod set at a 45 degree angle in matching top and bottom slots of the T-slot beam and using V-wheels to ride the upward and downward pointed edges of the steel rod. Round steel rods laid in the T-slot channels have also been used in a number of builds, using matching concave slotted wheels. The other suggestions would be simply mounting 20x20 V-slot rails to the face of the 3060 as this provides an easy adaptation to the wheels and other aspects of the V-slot system. Either way you'll likely wind up cutting your own plates but this is something that is really not that difficult.

MaryD likes this.
  3. glennpierce

Builder

Thanks. May go with the 20x20 idea. I would be worried any steel rod wouldn't sit absolutely flat in the middle and would be hard to secure there.