Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Strange issues with OX since new shop vac installed - OX Stops Responding

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Chillimonster, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Chillimonster

Chillimonster Well-Known
    Builder

Everything was working well with my Ooznest Ox with CNC Xpro until i changed vacuums.

My Vacuum is not on all of the time the OX is cutting and i tend to put it on part way through cuts to remove debris. With my old Vac this was never an issue and i could do this whenever without issues.

Now, with my new vac (Bigger and 'better') whenever i use it part way through a cut, within a minute or so of using it the OX stops all movement. Universal G Code sender does not come up with an error and as far as the program is concerned the OX is still cutting and moving.

I suspect that the CNC XPro is 'crashing', possibly due to static?

How can get around this? as on some of the jobs i have lined up i will need to have the vac on throughout the cut and as the wood i'll be cutting is quite expensive i dont want to ruin the pieces.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Yeah that's weird. It stops completely huh? Did you try a dry run of the part? Dry run and turn on the vac. ie are you sure it's the vacuum. Are your motor cables grounded at the controller end?

Joe

3. Chillimonster

Chillimonster Well-Known
    Builder

Yes, even with a dry run it will stop dead shortly after the vac has been on. The counter and 'cursor' carries on moving on UGC on the PC.

If i only vac between cuts there is never an issue. 12 hours of non stop cutting Saturday will attest to that (It certainly earned its keep that day!)

As for grounding, i'm going to hazard a guess at not (not sure if there is a shield on the motor cables - will check later when i'm in the workshop)

4. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hmm. Maybe your new vacuum hose is part of the problem. Try adding some ground straps to the hose maybe the machine too. Bare copper or aluminum works best. If you have any desoldering braid laying around that works great.
    If your controller is machine mounted then take a look at its isolation. If static charge is the problem then you just gotta give it some place to go. :)

Joe

5. Chillimonster

Chillimonster Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks Joe,

Controller is indeed machine mounted but isolated (On plastic stand-offs).

Will look at grounding the vac as i have noticed quite a lot of static when using it (Hairs on arms standing up etc).

Will let you know how i get on

6. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Strange issue, but we just bought a new disk sander for workshop, and it has a dust extractor with a grounding lead, the manual advised that it should be grounded to the sander because of the build up of static. Yours is probably a similar situation.