Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Stock CNC Router

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Jay Lytle, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Jay Lytle

Jay Lytle Well-Known
    Builder

Jay Lytle published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. stargeezer

stargeezer Veteran
    Builder

Hi Jay. Sounds like you have a good plan. If you need any help or advice, ask away!

You'll find a bunch of very helpful folks here, all willing to impart what we know.

Larry

Mark Carew likes this.
  3. Jay Lytle

Jay Lytle Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks, Larry! It's been quite a learning experience. I had planned on having this completed and running back in March, but it just took way longer than I planned to get the design down, parts purchased, and assembled. Ended up getting way more screws than I needed so I may have some that I can send to others to help out. Haven't sat down and counted up what I used vs what I bought yet.

4. stargeezer

stargeezer Veteran
    Builder

It's funny how it works that way. :) And you just never know when you might decide to build a printer (or 3), a lathe, a vertical mill or a robotic arm - those extra screws might be handy. :) I have tons of extra hardware, but I'm retired and enjoy building things. I've got 6 mills (2 commercial) and 6 3d printers around here and quite a few I've given away to kids in the area.

It's worse than potato chips...... :)

5. Jay Lytle

Jay Lytle Well-Known
    Builder

Cool! Well, I am toying with the idea of building a 1500 mm wide by 3000 mm long CNC router if I can figure out the drive system. Something that I can drop in a full 4x8 sheet of plywood and do large sign or multiple cutouts for yard signs, etc. Not sure if a belt drive would be good enough or if I am going to have to spring for ball screw drive.

6. stargeezer

stargeezer Veteran
    Builder

In that size, I'd not even think about belts. Maybe some super big industrial belt that would cost more than a ballscrew, but that's not a good idea in my mind. For 3000mm you'll need a 1 inch screw, in my opinion. I'm using a 1/2" screw on a 1500mm y axis and it's as small as I'd ever go with that. For double the length you'll need much thicker plates, bigger bearings, heavier frame. Making that jump in size requires a lot more engineering and moving away from aluminum to a steel frame. Some have done that size with aluminum and even wood, but I suspect that a honest report would be that steel would be better.

7. islahcnc

islahcnc Well-Known
    Builder

It seems like it would be a good built. What you gonna use for the working area. MDF or Aluminium.

8. Jay Lytle

Jay Lytle Well-Known
    Builder

I'll be putting MDF down. Not sure exactly what I'll do to hold my work pieces yet, but leaning toward double sided carpet tape.

9. Jay Lytle

Jay Lytle Well-Known
    Builder

Hey what about using a rack and pinion or helical rack and pinion to drive the Y axes? 1605 ball screw should do for the X and standard 8mm lead screw should work for the Z, right?

Thank you in advance for any info!
    Jay

10. stargeezer

stargeezer Veteran
    Builder

Rack and pinion should work just fine too. Sorry I didn't mention that too. 1605 should do OK for X and Z - as far as that goes 8mm would work for the Z axis, unless you are hanging a lot of weight on it. I've used 2.2kw water cooled spindles on one up to 3ft long, but at that point there is a definite twisting of the gantry. I'm going to back my gantry with a piece of 3/8 x 3" steel flat to see if that helps. If not, I'm going to pull the gantry apart and add another 20x80 v-slot behind the gantry C-Beam.

Stretching out to 4'+ will only be worse and why I suggest a steel channel for the gantry.

11. Jay Lytle

Jay Lytle Well-Known
    Builder

My idea for the x axis for strength is to strap 2 C Beams back to back to form an I Beam for the added strength. It will make an 80 mm wide x axis, but it should be really stout.

Jay