Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Steps calculator? or help..

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by baum, Jan 5, 2021.

1. baum

baum New
    Builder

So im trying to fine tune my steps my machine i have 1605 ball screws and try and cut a square that is 1.25" x 1.25" on one direction im getting about 1.247-1.249 (y) on the other about 1.238-1.239 (x). to adjust it would i turn the $100 up (currently at 320 steps/mm) or would i decrease the amount?

Same thing i did a .80" dia circle and the y direction im at .797-.799 and on the x im .789 or so.

Thanks

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Divide the dimension you told it to move by the dimension it actually moved (take several readings and use the average, excluding any that are wildly different) and multiply your current steps/mm by the result. Repeat until things are consistent - ie no changes needed - don't forget for repeat tests that you now have a different value for steps/mm. But to get reliable results A) measure distance moved without cutting (that introduces other variables like tool deflection and backlash - the cure for those is different) and B) do the measurements over the longest distances you can - the dimensions you quoted are far too small to get reliable results.
    Alex.

#2 Alex Chambers, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    David the swarfer and sharmstr like this.
  3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Use the wizard?
    upload_2021-1-6_10-33-34.png

sharmstr and Peter Van Der Walt like this.