Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Steppers don't move, grinding sound or a hard drive

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by OneTea, Apr 12, 2016.

1. OneTea

OneTea New
    Builder

I posted videos of the issue on YouTube to better show what I am talking about. Has anyone had this issue? It is a grinding sound and the z axis reminds me of an old Dell desktop hard drive. I'm built a Ooznest based Ox driven by gshield v5. There is a higher sound from a few t-nuts that are unsecured rattling in the rail.

2. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Hello OneTea,

So, tell us, did you adjust the drivers for the motors? What power supply are you using? Stepper settings (divider, rates, etc.)?

All sounds like real under powered motors.

-Ronald

#2 Ronald van Arkel, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    GrayUK and David the swarfer like this.
  3. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I agree. The fault is common across all steppers.
    It is worrying that with all that noise, there is no sign of movement at all. :(

4. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

I think I've had that issue (noisy cogging/windings, no motion) when I've had the leads from the driver to the motor ordered incorrectly? Check that both pairs are wired the right way (and maybe try reordering them even if they appear to be right, I've found stepper lead labelling/datasheets to be lacking, at best).

Just don't yank the pairs while the driver is powered!

GrayUK and Ronald van Arkel like this.
  5. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Rob, you are right, I forgot to add that as well. As far as I can see the motors are from OpenBuilds and there is a spec-sheet for it as well on the page they were ordered from (presuming they came from OpenBuilds).

I've been thinking of adding spec-sheets and one page assembly instructions to orders; soon they will be available as PDF to download and we might add them to a shipment as well (think "green", print only when needed ;) ).

-Ronald

GrayUK and Mark Carew like this.
  6. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

I have an OB NEMA 17, I honestly couldn't make much of the online spec sheet re: the windings (though that could be my own failure to generally understand stepper motors, I dunno). I just got some "StepperOnline" NEMA 17s that come with a nice little A5 specsheet, similar to what's laid out on the OBPS. Whether you need both online and print versions, I'm not sure. Perhaps if you don't have an internet machine at your workbench!

A simple "Get up to speed in 10 minutes" one-page guide in the box would be super nice, though! A basic lead colour-coil output table, rotation direction instructions and microstepping guide, or something. I've been reading semi-obsessively on grbl the last few days and confusion over axis orientation and motor rotation is a recurring theme in threads.

7. OneTea

OneTea New
    Builder

I figured out the problem. Actually I don't know where there problem is at, but eliminated all the connections and have the connected the wires directly to the gshield. I switched the order from Red, Green, Yellow, Blue to RGBY for X, Y, and Z. Z was working fine but moving in opposite direction. Switched Z to RGBY and is now moving in the correct direction. Now I just need to add homing and limit switches, then calibrate. :)

GrayUK likes this.