Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Stepper motor problems

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Nickelme, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Nickelme

Nickelme New
    Builder

I recently bought and assembled the C-Beam machine. I took it outside to do first cuts earlier this morning and much fo my dismay ended up with what seemed like the stepper skipping steps. But I'm unsure why and have been messing with it for a couple hours. I'm using TB6560AHQ external drivers with a smoothieboard. I don't know where to begin to look as I have very little experience with stepper motors.
    Here are two videos of my cuts. The first one is definitely decent but the second just got bad.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Nickelme

2. Nickelme

Nickelme New
    Builder

Yep so I figured it out. Just for completion the problem turned out to be that the smoothieboard in an open drain configuration has the step high and pulls it low to signal a step. My stepper drivers wanted it pulled high to signal a step. Fixed now though. So happy with the machine. Great work OpenBuilds Team.

Mark Carew, GrayUK and Rick 2.0 like this.
  3. RobertW

RobertW New
    Builder

Make sure you have your stepper motor signal cables and frame earth grounded. Not doing so can cause issues with emi interference,

4. Nickelme

Nickelme New
    Builder

Oh I should probably do that too because the electric fence for the horses tends to mess with the drivers. I have to turn it off to run the machine. I wonder if I earth grounded the frame and signal cables like you said would help that.