Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Stepper Motor Failure?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by CKerv, Jan 3, 2021.

1. CKerv

CKerv New
    Builder

One of my motors is no longer working. It doesn't respond to controls, does not "hold" in place when powered up and there is a clicking sound every second. The corresponding driver also has a red error light flashing but I just replaced the driver, so I'm suspecting the motor has gone bad. Anyone else agree the issue is probably the motor and not the driver?

Would there be any issues with installing a new high torque motor on only the x axis and keeping the y axis with standard torque versions? All would still be Nema 23. (I eventually want to upgrade to all high torque).

Cheers!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. CKerv

CKerv New
    Builder

I'll check over the wiring. Before it completely died, I had a few months where everything would be working fine, then, right in the middle of a project, the X axis control would just stop (Y controls kept going fine). I would power down and back up and everything would be working again.....for a while....

4. CKerv

CKerv New
    Builder

Solved: I didn't have a thick enough rubber washer below the motor driver. The contacts on the underside of the driver were touching the aluminum baseboard and causing a short I guess.

sharmstr likes this.