Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

steel for work bed and upgrading chinese bearings

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Rodm, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Rodm

Rodm Well-Known
    Builder

hi all,
    So after a few distractions I'm back on the build! 1st listening to the 8mm linear bearings on the anet a8 printer has gotten old. I also have a 12mm sbr12uu block linear rail set up for my cbeam build and can only get 2 of 4 working well - one is hopeless. I would prefer to upgrade than wait and chance replacement. any suggestions for new bearings or ...

then I was talking with a local shop about aluminum for the bed of my cbeam plate maker. had read a few issues with how true - flat the stock was. he suggested steel. heavier but truer with out further milling? I know the spoil board can be surfaced but a twisted bed could mess up tensions ect.. between actuator and connections to rails. maybe the flex of mdf and then surfacing spoil board is the best way to go?

2. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Thin piece of steel surface ground or maybe mic6 aluminum plate?

3. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder

Just a thought. :rolleyes:
    A steel bed would probably mean a floating bed, as it would be quite prone to expansion and contraction. A fixed steel bed would, if thick enough, cause warping, if not in itself, then somewhere else in the build. :(
    If it was held in place with clips, or slotted bolt holes, which would allow for expansion and contraction movement, then I don't think there would be a problem. :thumbsup:
    Obviously, it depends on your climate, and a load of other things etc.
    Gray

4. Rodm

Rodm Well-Known
    Builder

Well that explains why it's not done, creates more issues than it solves.:banghead: I'm just going to go with the mdf for now. Hopefully I can figure out - order some new bearings tonight. The last few parts for my control box show up this week. Plan is to have chips flying by tax day.

5. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict

Steel has a pretty low cte. much lower than aluminum. Mic6 is stress free and very flat to begin with. Down side is that it is pricey.
    I don't think any of this really matters. This seems like a type 2 error. Any relatively flat material will work fine. Plenty of kits operating without this as a reported problem. Hand tighten the fasteners, run the table back and forth a couple of times, tighten it all down. Should be good to go.

Joe

GrayUK likes this.