Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Squaring V-Slot Joints

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by misquamacus, Sep 14, 2016.

1. misquamacus

Builder

Hi Friends,

I'm having difficulties getting my box square. Using 20x40 extrusions with hidden corner brackets, the box drifts out of square when I tighten the brackets, regardless of what I try to hold them in place (clamps, etc). Does anyone have advice regarding how they have accomplished this?

thanks!

2. Barry Danks

Barry Danks Well-Known
    Builder

If you are using the cast corners they are never square...not by a long shot. Stick with the machined ones..they cost more but they work

3. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

With the hidden corner brackets, I'd say it's that the bracket is not square and it pulls the extrusions out of square when tight. You should be able to insert the bracket into the two extrusions and put them in position. Get one side tight, then use whatever you have to square up the other extrusion. Clamp it tight, then tighten the last screw on the bracket. If it's still not square once you remove whatever clamps you used, then the bracket is certainly out of square. You could try to tweak the bracket, but with them being cast, they probably won't take too kindly to that.

The corner brackets will work better, as they are using the exterior surface of the extrusions to set everything square. The cast brackets will work fine provided that the dimples on the one face are seated in the v-slot of the extrusion. The machined corner brackets are a little more versatile when it comes to joining extrusions where the bracket won't sit inline with the v-slot (they don't have the dimples like the cast ones).

4. misquamacus

Builder

The brackets, of coarse, that makes sense. Thank you both! I'd never had such trouble squaring a project, and it was driving me crazy.

5. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

Good luck with getting everything squared up.