Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Squaring the OX?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Paul Schoggin, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Paul Schoggin

Builder

How are most of you squaring up your OX? I thought I was square when I built the frame, the bottom of the gantry would hit the front and rear base 4o mm v stock at the same time. Now that I've added limit/home switched to both sides of the Y axis I placed a framing square across the table and ran the X back and forth it's a good 1/4" off. I am running 4 drivers so the Y axis motors are slaved together in Mach 3. The limit/homes for the L and right side are separated on different inputs so I can get some of it out by adjusting the home limits on each side. But 1/4" seems a bit much to me. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks...

2. Philip UD

Philip UD New
    Builder

Cheap and easy with a little help from Pythagoras and a sharp pencil, more accurate than a the best precision square. Attach the pencil to the Z-axis and draw the largest possible right triangle, then measure as accurately as possible, A squared + B squared = C squared.

3. Paul Schoggin

Builder

Good idea! thanks.

4. Jestah

Jestah Well-Known
    Builder

I like to use a square drill pattern near the outer most limits of the travel. Drill a tiny spot in each corner and then measure the diagonals to make sure they are the same. You can then adjust your limit switches to set it square during the homing.

I have also seen other mill two sheets of material as a square and then flip one. The HALF of the difference between the two parts is how much out of square your movement is.