Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Spindle vs router

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Carl Stoner, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Carl Stoner

Builder

Well, I just burned out my $100 laminate router on my experimental CNC lathe based on the OX build. I know even the expensive routers aren't designed for the long constant hours we put on them, so now it's time to get a spindle. I'd love to get some opinions about:

1. Best brands (in USA) for quality as well as customer service and technical data. I've read that several people have bought reasonably priced spindles (with VFD) to find no instructions, and no humans to talk to at manufacturer. I would rather pay a bit more and be able to get help, and read manuals.

2: Size? The Tim Allen gene I seem to have wants BIG. To have future options, I'm thinking larger than I really need now, including ability to use 1/2" mills. It doesn't seem the 3 hp are a lot heavier than the 1 hp, if so weight hanging from the "lighter than I want" transome hopefully won't be a problem.

Then there's the 220v and water cooling issues. It seems they are both worth it despite all the extra work.

3: Can a spindle be used without the VFD until I really need the precise speed control?

Thanks all for the past help and future help and advise.

2. Gerry

Gerry New
    Builder

The spindle has a 3 phase motor. Connecting it to a single phase supply will make smoke.
    The VFD is necessary. It produces the variable frequency 3 phase output required, but is itself powered from a single phase source.

GrayUK likes this.