Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Spindle Talk

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Kevon Ritter, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

While running around trying to get more info, I ran across this nifty chart.

I know there is quite a bit of confusion (at least for me) on all of the different variants. The main variables are cooling method, voltage, and power. Then you have quad vs triple bearing and collet sizes.
    for the quad

I'll be building a Sphinx and was looking at a water cooled 1.5kW 220V. I was probably going to run it through a 110>220V transformer if I couldn't get 220V. I figured the 1.5kW would have much beeter low end torque since I plan on mainly cutting aluminum. I haven't had much issues with a Bosch Colt 1hp, but I have to run at a high rpm.

My main question was whether a 110V VFD could run a "regular" 220V spindle.

I don't know how accurate the chart below is. I found it in the thread below.
    X carve upgrade to .8KW water cooled spindle W closed loop cooling

[​IMG]

2. SCYBUCK

SCYBUCK New
    Builder

Did you ever get this resolved, sir?

A 120 VAC, 20 A circuit is only rated to deliver 1920 watts. A 240 VAC, 20A circuit can deliver 3840 watts. You would have to put in a 30A 120 VAC (2880 watts) circuit to serve a 2.2KW spindle and a 3KVA step up transformer. I strongly recommend a 240 VAC circuit.

3. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

I haven't really looked back at this due to financial reasons. I've been using my little Bosche without much of an issue. My biggest problem is currently voltage. I want an ER16 1.5kW water cooled spindle. I can find air cooled in 110V.

4. SCYBUCK

SCYBUCK New
    Builder

Kevon,
    I corresponded with Andy at UGRACNC.COM. He helped me get my mind around a CNC router VS. a CNC mill. I am still seeking information regarding exactly how big of a spindle can the Sphinx hold and properly utilize.
    What type of router frame are you running, sir? DO you cut much aluminum? You use 1/4" "bits", right? How are you speeds, feeds, and depths of cut running?

5. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

I primarily cut aluminum. My speeds are up to 1000mm/min with depths ranging on the process. I'll ramp into a climb cut at 1.8mm with a diamond coated 1/4" O-flute at 900mm/min at 20k rpm (router) while blasting a flood. I can still run it harder, but that's more than triple the load of what I see with most of the builds here. The upper chips are my current result. My finishing passes can be in excess of 3mm. It just depends. This is all on a 500x500 Sphinx. I've been able to mill down to 0.8mm as well.

If you plan on running dry, then ignore everything I just said. It won't apply.

Attached Files:

6. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

There are still a bunch of other factors to consider, such as bed height, run out, end mill length (deflection), bed material, hold downs, etc...

I have an almost zero gap between my gantry and work piece. The shorter the end mill, the better. I only use acrylic for my spoiler. There is absolutely zero slack in my hold downs.

Attached Files: