Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Sphinx rigid XL

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Apothus, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Apothus

Apothus New
    Builder

2. silopolis

silopolis New
    Builder

HI,

Nice build !
    Wondering what would be the pros and cons of putting the two beams one above the other instead of back to back ?

3. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Does LinuxCNC control GRBL controllers now?

4. Apothus

Apothus New
    Builder

Oops, thought I had corrected that mistake. GRBL is stand alone, it typically runs a front end application such as bCNC to stream G-Code to the controller over serial. I have gotten the machine running using GRBL but I have moved away from it in favour of trying LinuxCNC. I think GRBL can be a good start for a lot of applications but it has very limited expandability. Eventually I want to migrate to a closed loop system, especially for my heavy Z-Axis and the parallel Y-Axis. That will be a lot easier to accomplish with LinuxCNC so it makes sense to use that from the beginning.

This one has stumped me for a bit and challenged my assumptions. Side by side was more of a 'gut feel' than the engineering decision it should have been. I have used the double lengths to reduce rotational torsion. My assumption was that by increasing the cross sectional area of the width to match the height that would be most effective. Stacking them ontop of each other would probably be better for improving the strength of direct loading if that was your main objective. If someone was to base a build off mine and less 'gun-ho' about spitting out swarf I think it would be a very interesting analysis

Ernest Sutherland likes this.
  5. Brian C. Kanoy

Builder

Is there any progress on this build? If ti works out well it's a great candidate for patterning from.

6. Apothus

Apothus New
    Builder

I have both rails mounted for the Gantry now with the cross bolts in. I also have a 2.2kw spindle mounted on the Z-axis with a 3:1 reduction on the stepper. The whole z carriage weight in at a staggering 10kg but the machine is rock solid. I don't have a dial indicator but I cannot observe any deflection with the carriage's extra mass.

Hopefully I'll get the limit switches and water cooling finished this next week and I'll be able to see how well it cuts.

W1ck3dM1nds likes this.
  7. SCYBUCK

SCYBUCK New
    Builder

Please tell me about your spindle.

THanks,
    Wayne B
    Atlanta, GA

8. JeromeL

JeromeL New
    Builder

Hi @Apothus
    Nice design

What is your cutting area size with this machine ?
    and what is the size of your CBEAM extrusion for each axis ?

#8 JeromeL, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  9. eMeSiX

eMeSiX New
    Builder

Building this CNC ;)

OMG What a challenge. Anyway i am using the "Vslot Joiner for Ox Cnc/ 3d Printer" to make the X Gantry beam extra rigid. And also used the links to make the bottom frame even more rigid.
    Vslot Joiner for Ox Cnc/ 3d Printer - Openbuilds V slot by Aussie_ben
    IMG_20200727_010237280.jpg IMG_20200727_010244453.jpg

The space at the end of the Y axis is for routing stuff on the edge. Use your fantasy on how handy that might be.:p Anyway hope to have it working before Christmas.
    Spindle is a 2.2Kw water-cooled spindle, steppers are 4x iHSS57-36-20 and a MESA 7i76e control board. Hoping that these steppers will play nice and i wont have to change to more conventional steppers.

Vincent

Giarc likes this.