Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Spacer Block (V-Slot) a good design?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Kevin45, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Kevin45

Kevin45 New
    Builder

I got myself a couple of those spacer blocks

http://openbuildspartstore.com/spacer-block-v-slot/

and attached 2 wheels to each, and fit it to a gantry plate. I quickly realized that on the side with
    the eccentric spacers all is well, but on the other side, since its an identical block, the
    normal spacers dont fit inside the larger holes like the eccentric spacers, so there's a loose
    fit. Is this a good design? It seems to me there should be two different spacer block versions,
    one with enlarged holes for the eccentric spacers, and one with 5mm holes that fit the wheel
    axils. Or maybe spacers that have a part that fills in the larger holes?

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Thanks for the feed back @Kevin45
    We had considered this in the design phase of the the Spacer Blocks, however since the 5mm screws are going through a 5mm hole in the plates they are attached too and tightened against the blocks there is no room for leaning.
    So that being said we have not had any issues with them they work great!
    Mark

3. Nugz

Nugz New
    Builder

@Kevin45
    Little things like this drive me nuts too. It's just my nature to over analyse things I guess. I would like to find a bushing to take up that slop around the bolt when not using eccentrics on one side...just because it would make me feel better. Glad to hear it's not JUST me that thinks this way. :D
    -Nugz

4. asb_79

asb_79 Well-Known
    Builder

Instead of using the 1/4" aluminum spacer on the fixed side you could use eccentric spacers there too. This helps support the screw better. Just make sure you set the eccentrics to the same position on the fixed side. This method remedied a loose z-axis on a mates machine.

Personally I'd prefer a machined collar that fits in the spacer block to take up the space but this method is working for now.