Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Soooooo totally lost.

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Dave Schmittler, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Dave Schmittler

Builder

So I’ve been driving myself nuts. Two months now I’ve been looking into the laser CNC for engraving and to cut aluminum. And I’m still lost. I see one they swear it will do what I want then I read different or it’s 2,000,000. I have expensive tastes and unreal expectations. I’ll give you some background on me before I dive into my desires. I’ve yet opened a firearm accessories business, got the website goin ect ect. I am working on getting my ffl7 to manufacture firearms. I plan on doing custom builds and my passion project is to do an “icon series” of guns I fell in love with in the 80’s like tec 9 usi smg m16 in high qualify improved designs and just all around improved. I wanted to do 80% lowers and kits that aren’t currently available ie an 80% desert eagle frame. I also snagged a tec 9 drawing of an 80% receiver that’s exactly what I envisioned so I wanted to make them to get money until I could do full builds. I figured a CNC and laser would suit me well. I make what normal people could live off comfortably and on paper I could afford a 10k machine. But I have the impulse control of an infants **** after someone gave the child White Castle the night before. So, I figured the only way I’d be able to get what I need is to a, build it myself and b like good ole Johnny, one piece at a time. Then I exploded. I’ve decided I would like a 100w water cooled fiber head with a 6 axis anc rotary. Then I thought, could I buy a 200.00 eBay 3018 special and retro fit the head and cooling on it? Without ranting any longer. Can any head be made to work on any workstation? What’s a compatibility list look like? Why had no one came up with the perfect builder program to where you can enter what you want to accomplish what features you would like and it give you lists of parts that will work together and an over all list of parts needed? Not in just the laser game but in custom building anything? LOL so if anyone can help me sort through to the center of the device I want and the parts i need to get the features I want and the end result I deserve I’d not only appreciate it, I’ll give you one of my first custom builds at bo charge as long as you’re not a felon. Thanks in advance!

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The attention span of this crowd is 50 words or less. If you want assistance please restate the question within that realm.

Archilea and sharmstr like this.
  3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

A 3018 ebay special will not be making very good quality parts out of aluminum, nor will it be able to be easily converted to a 6 axis machine. If it can be, it will do a horrible job at being the base of a 6 axis machine build and with an 11" by 7" by 1.5" cutting area you couldn't do much with it. You would be best served buying the machine that can do the job you want. I personally would never buy a gun machined on a cheap Ebay 3018 cnc machine.

In summary, No not any head can fit on any CNC machine.

David the swarfer likes this.
  5. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

This is a true fact. Ditto for Knifemaking Tuesdays, actually. Great insights into developing a product from scratch with minimal cash input.

1) I don't really understand what's supposed to be being lasered here. Base frames, from like, 1/2" aluminum plate or something?

2) What then does the actual profiling and pocket machining? You can't do that with a laser. You'd be better off having a supplier waterjet them for you and just run a mill.

3) If you're gonna become a machinist, you're gonna have to learn impulse control and patience. Very little about this field is fast or off-the-cuff.

4) Definitely no to any eBay special unless you want the ugliest products on the market. Look up both of John Saunders' recent tours of Area 419- all three hours or whatever of them. That's the grade of company you're competing with- parts, accessories and full builds. You may not have access to that kind of capital right now, I don't know- you're looking at a ten million dollar shop there, easy- but if you want to achieve sublime fit and finish, focus on one thing you can make with what you can get and work out from there.

David the swarfer likes this.