Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Solid basics CNC router

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Richard Long, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Richard Long

Builder

Richard Long published a new build:

Read more about this build...

Molioni likes this.
  2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Nice build! I fully agree about the unsupported rails. I thought about drilling my own plates but chickened out!

3. Richard Long

Builder

Thanks, Ironically it would have been way easier if the machine was already completed. I guess it is the old chicken or the egg scenario. :)

Joe Santarsiero and Giarc like this.
  4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I thought the same thing when I cut my plates on a table saw and scroll saw then drilled the holes with my drill press. Time consuming and fun, but it would have been so much easier if a CNC router was available. I figured if I failed, it was only about $35 worth of aluminum wasted so I rolled the dice.

5. Richard Long

Builder

I have pretty much the same attitude about taking chances. Some of the best ideas of come up with were after I failed doing something and figured out why I failed and then thought it through. I didn't want to pay someone for something I felt I "should" be able to do (plus I'm cheap). :) Well, the Y and Z axis plates are this weekend so hopefully I won't run into problems, but if I do hopefully I'll learn something from my failure.... and I'll have plenty of small piece stock!

Giarc likes this.
  6. James1949

James1949 New
    Builder

Like your build.
    Will follow for updates.
    Had problem with video playing.

7. Richard Long

Builder

Thanks!
    Someone else told me that as well. When I clicked on it and it downloaded and ran which isn't what I wanted it to do as well. I will need to fix that for sure. I was having a hard time figuring out how to delete it.

8. Gary Caruso

I like that you kept your plates simple. I was able to watch the video no problem just download first.
    You plan on "dual belting"?
    I'm curious with your motors, 1.8A sounds low for 340oz?
    I have 269oz N23 motors, and run my DQ542's at 2.3A RMS over 3A peak (24V), They run for hours just slightly warm.
    Cheers
    Gary

9. Richard Long

Builder

10. James1949

James1949 New
    Builder

I was trying to open on iPad. Works fine on work computer.

11. HOBOPHOBIA

Builder

From your experience, do you think it is detrimental to build CNC table on wheels?

12. Gary Caruso

Interesting, that motor has very low current for its torque, good find.

13. Richard Long

Builder

Do you meant the actual platform? I would the wheels that lock if you do so your machine doesn't dance! As far as if that is bad or not, I haven't tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You would have to be diligent about keeping it level since you are moving it place to place. I'd make sure you have a way to level it easily. I have a tablesaw that lifts up on wheels to move it but once it is down, rock solid.

14. Richard Long

Builder

Yes, I run a 36 volt power supply to make up for the lower current flow. Power = Current x voltage. if current is lower you can up the voltage a bit to compensate.

15. Gary Caruso

Cut anything yet? how's it going?

16. Richard Long

Builder

Hey Gary,
    No, not yet. I have the z axis together but i need to make a mount point. Also, I have all the limit switches and wire management work to do. Getting there, just getting slowed down by those pesky people at work! :)

Gunnar Norum likes this.
  17. Mike J. Flatland USNR

Builder

What is your total size? and what size can you cut?

18. Richard Long

Builder

It's about 48 x 54 overall. I need the overhang over the 48 inch top for the rails. The cutting area is 40 X 46.

19. johnnycnc

johnnycnc New
    Builder

A really educational build, Richard. A lot of great information that I will be using when going through my build. I really like your platform. I feel that it is as rigid as any steel table could be.
    It is great to follow a build that has deflection as a primary concern. I am interested in your BofM as well as suppliers?
    Great Build!!

20. Richard Long

Builder

Hey Mike,
    The table top is 48" square. There are several inches of overhang along the Y axis in the plus and minus directions that overhangs the tabletop. The cutting area is roughly 39 x 39. It hits a bit strange because I modified the design with ballscrews I turned the Y axis plates around. It allowed me to reuse the plates and I had desired the ability to reach off the table. Now I can reach off the edge and do some dovetailing if I wish.

21. Richard Long

Builder

Thanks!
    I use many different suppliers. Openbuilds for some. Ali Express is a big one for me. Ebay, even Amazon. a lot of the parts I need are listed for other uses. That is one of the things you need to figure out to find good sources. An example of what I mean here is pre-cut cork circles for coasters. Prices are all over the place and they might be listed very differently.... It requires lots of research.

22. Techvette

Techvette New
    Builder

Nice machine! Thanks for adding the information about drill bit size. Finding metric bits is difficult here in the states.