Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Software for 3 axis stepper motors

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Ricardo12, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Ricardo12

Ricardo12 New
    Builder

Hi,
    New to CNC machines.
    Making a 3 axis cnc using Nema 34. Can someone recommend a suitable free software to use?
    Thank you

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If you ask a broad question, you will get a lot of varying answers related to personal preferences.

Here are my answers:
    Free software for controlling the machine using an Arduino board and stepper drivers is GRBL. GitHub - gnea/grbl: An open source, embedded, high performance g-code-parser and CNC milling controller written in optimized C that will run on a straight Arduino and Connecting Grbl · grbl/grbl Wiki · GitHub
    To send the gcode to the the Arduino, you can use many different Gcode senders that are free. Read this Using Grbl · gnea/grbl Wiki · GitHub I have used nothing but GRBL Panel. I don't know if it is the best, I just know that it worked when I tried it and didn't see a need to try anything else.

There are lots of free options for designing parts to cut. I prefer Fusion 360 (very powerful) and Sketchucam great for quick 2.5D projects. Read though the CAM, CAD and Control Software threads for other choices.