Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Slaving dual axes

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Retrosmith, Nov 14, 2017 at 7:28 PM.

1. Retrosmith

Retrosmith Well-Known
    Builder

I'm into the planning phase of the wiring on my new machine. It's got dual Y and dual Z axes, so 5 motors total. Since I'm using an Arduino Uno for control I've only got four motor outputs. I plan to split the signals from the Uno to one of the two dual axes but I'm no sure if it makes a difference which I should split.

I've heard of issues splitting control signals (as opposed to using a dedicated slave circuit), if the motors get out of sync. I'm thinking that it would be better for that to happen on the Y axis than the Z, as there would be no weight issues to aggravate the problem. Any other opinions? Does it make a difference at all?

patdee likes this.
  2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso Veteran
    Builder

with GRBL you really only have X, Y, Z.. so you just pair up any signals you want you can chain together multiple drivers on any axis no problem.

3. Retrosmith

Retrosmith Well-Known
    Builder

-
    For some reason I was thinking it offered four, but if splitting the signal to multiple motors isn't an issue three will work fine. Thanks for the reply!

4. Flash22

Flash22 Veteran
    Builder

Its not a issue as its only the control side, power the motors up with the lead screw couplings undone, so the motors can sync with no load - position your axis's by hand and do up the couplings

I run 2 Y axis drivers and motors and have just set them up

My double wide CBeam

patdee likes this.