Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Sketchucam going into LA LA land

Discussion in 'CAM' started by Robert Bailey, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey Well-Known
    Builder

I have sketchup 2015 and 1.4 shetchucam, I have two files that when I try to do a pocket on a hole using
    the boundary method it never finishes and I have to kill the process. if I just select the hole to pocket with
    zigzag that works, its just these two files. any ideas on what is happening. Here is one of the files.

Attached Files:

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hi Robert,
    I believe I was able to do what you are after as a separate group for the pockets.

Let me start off by saying that the letting/text is too small for a 1/8" bit and would be either need to be scaled up or the bit size lowered to say a 1/16" to allow for the tiny inside cutting or recessing you may be after.
    So I made the assumption it was not the text but instead the circles around the wheel holes that you wanted recessed for the pocketing function?
    If this is the case I made a quick example for you to look at and it seems to render the gcode fine.

What I did to accomplish this is to copy the holes that you want recessed and then did pocket fills at 50% (not sure the dept your after) on these. I then selected these and made them a group (not a component)
    I then went in and worked up the main plate inside/outside cut lines and tabs and selected that and mad it a group as well.
    Then I was able to drag the first group of circle recesses over and line them up on the plate cut out group.
    The last thing to do was to assign the cut out order for the groups. So I selected the Re order groups tool in SketchUcam and selected the recessed circles first then the plate cut out group.
    Now if you create the gcode you can see that it will do the recess holes first and then work on the plate cutting out the inside holes first then the outside cutout to complete the part.

I have attached the gcode file as well as the SketchUp file.
    I hope that this is what you are hoping to achieve and that this example will help you out.

SketchUcam pocet test_2.jpg
    SketchUcam pocet test_1.JPG

Attached Files:

3. Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey Well-Known
    Builder

thanks for the reply, the bottom larger circles are just there to show mw where the v-wheels are, the one I try to pocket is the 22mm for the acme screw at the top I was tiring to do a 100% pocket cutout on it.
    Ill attach the other file to look at, I have 12mm pockets at 44% that I cant seem to do a boundary cut either. I have this one cut out, still haven't cut out the Y gantry. in the process of testing pocket cuts. this bottom mount has 6 pockets to hold magnets for the dust shoe and should be 12.2 mm and they are 11.60mm. so I had my engineering department cad guy use solidworks and hsm to create a some test holes and I did the
    same with sketchup and sketchucam and we are going to compare them, my machine is running a tiny G and manually we seem to go the distance we tell it, but that is another issue than this.

Attached Files: