Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

SketchUcam errors

Discussion in 'CAM' started by _3D_, Jun 7, 2015.

1. _3D_

_3D_ New
    Builder

Hello,

I'm slowly entering the world of CNCs and while looking for the necessary software stumbled upon sketchucam.

I installed the plugin on SUP 8, but have a couple issues.
    I saw this introductory video and followed along to make a simple square cut. I also changed some default settings.

When i click to generate the gcode i get this error
    [​IMG]

and after clicking ok i get this error
    [​IMG] (retry and cancel, I'm Greek btw)

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You cannot use special characters in the file path or name, only 'ASCII' characters (in other words, no Greek characters).
    This is not a SketchUcam limitation, but a Sketchup problem.

I don't know if Sketchup Make 2015 fixes this but it probably does. SK8 is good, but it is very old now.

I just tested 2015 and it is happy to save the file with a 'µ' in the name (just the first Greek char I found), but Gplot cannot open the file as it does not understand the special character.

Mark Carew likes this.
  3. _3D_

_3D_ New
    Builder

It was so obvious. Changed it to D:\G-codes\ and worked like a charm.
    Also went ahead and downloaded the newest SU version (15.3 something) and installed SketchUcam.

It doesn't plot the G-code though. I saved the file, generated the g-code but doesn't show, even the plot window.

4. David the swarfer

under Sketchup 2015 the plugins (and the gplot program) are stored in your user folder, which has Greek characters in the path so this might be the problem, again.
    you can move the gplot.exe and the .dll file to somewhere else, then follow the instructions in the help for changing the gplot program, in this case you are telling it where to find it rather than using a different one.

5. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

I know this thread is a little old - but I'm wondering if you know how the gplot is handled on mac. I see the "plot gcode" choice in the extension drop down - but it doesn't do anything when I select it.

Thanks

6. David the swarfer

sadly I don't have a Mac otherwise I would know the definitive answer to this. I do use Linux though, and it works under Linux since I am running Sketchup under WINE the windows emulator.

so, if there is a way to tell Mac 'run this program as though it is a Windows program', then that should work.

otherwise you can use OpenSCAM which has a Mac version, or one of the Java based things like Universal Gcode Sender.
    A bit more fiddly to use, though I did ask the UGS guy if there was a way to feed a file to UGS. No action there yet.

If you do find a program for Mac that can be used the same way, ie if the program is started with a filename on the command line it will load and display the file, then please let us all know. This can then be used as a gplot command .

Instructions for for replacing Gplot with your own plotter are in the SketchUcam help.

7. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks so much for the reply.

I have been messing around with both fusion 360 and Sketchup a bit, and figured this was one of the features of SU that seemed appealing. For a noob like me, sketucam is much more simple and easy to understand than the Fusion 360 gcode generation.

I do have a Windows 7 laptop - it's not the computer I like to use for CAD, but I can use it to see what gplot is all about.

Just for clarification: GPlot is not related to the Phlat extensions, and is not an extension at all? It doesn't show up in the extensions warehouse at all when I searched. I did download the zip from your link - and the plugin folder was in there. I could load that directly into the main Sketchup folder?

If I figure anything out Mac related I'll post back.

Appreciate the help.

8. David the swarfer

all gplot.exe does is display the gcode so you can check that it will do what you think it will do.
    there are things you can do in Sketchup that will prevent proper Gcode generation, even though it looks ok to your eyes.

gplot is 'related' in that when you install SketchUcam from the .rbz file, gplot.exe is installed for you, but the Mac will not run it.
    however, you can replace the path to the program with some other program that can be run as
    /somepath/someprogram gcodefile.cnc
    The program must then load and display the Gcode. The details of changing which program is used by the Gplot menu option are in the help, hit the blue question mark.

OR, you can install Winebottler
    http://www.wikihow.com/Open-Exe-Files-on-Mac
    and set it up to run gplot.exe for you. gplot is in the Sketchup plugins folder which is in different places depending on the version of Sketchup, but you can get close to it by clicking Tools|PhlatBoyz|Display profiles folder

9. David the swarfer

10. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks so much for all the info. I have Sketchucam installed and running already based on your description from another thread - and have messed with it a bit. It turned out that the gplot.exe file was not installed on Mac when I used the .rbz - or at least it did not show up in the search of my drives. It did however show up after I downloaded the zip you linked, which was complete with the plugin folder etc.

I will see about switching to an alternate gcode display program/plugin or try that wine bottler.

I'm getting close! :)

11. David the swarfer

where did I link a zip? Sketchucam is only available as an .RBZ file. Mac may be 'clever' enough to not install the Windows program during rbz install, had not thought of that.

12. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

****. I'm not sure where it was linked :). I found it last night though after reading this post (and a couple others - perhaps from the resource section???).

Mac may be that clever.... It definitely wasn't part of the original download that seemed to load fine based on the instructions.

If I find it I'll post it back in this thread.