Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Single Lead Screw/Motor vs. Double Lead Scree/Motor

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Connie, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Connie

Connie New
    Builder

Hi All

I am at the point of starting my mutation of the Ox-Metal CNC, and lately I've been wondering how a single lead screw and high-torque motor would compare with the double lead screw and motor combination of the Ox-Metal.

I planning to ditch the V-wheels and go with linear rails on either side of the X-axis. This means that I can potentially use a single lead screw and a high torque motor underneath, down the middle, of the gantry assembly. I was looking at installing 2 x 0.9Nm Nema23 motors for the X-axis, but a single 3Nm Nema23 appears to be more than capable of handling the load.

I suppose the biggest issue I face with this setup would be flex in the system. But it does leave me with an output for the A-axis that I am planning to install as well.

Connie

2. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

In the case of the V-Wheel system, dual drives isn't for more force. It's to keep both sides of the gantry in line.

3. SugarJ

SugarJ Well-Known
    Builder

I've got a larger Ox-Metal build myself. I would say it would depend on the width of your gantry. If you are building one with a wider gantry (mine's 750mm) I'd think you'd get some flexing and twisting. Maybe think about sticking with 2 lead screws but using a GT3 belt and pulley system to tie them together so that they rotate in tandem?

Your other option is looking at a 5 axis control board like the Smoothieboard.

Also, look at DazTheGas's Ox upgrade kit. Ox Upgrade Kit
    I'll be swapping my 3D printed parts out as soon as possible. I've seen some flexing and cracking on my motor and leadscrew mounts, aluminum is the way to go rather than plastic.

4. Connie

Connie New
    Builder

Thanks for the replies, guys! I've decided to stick with the two motors and two lead screws on the sides. The plan is to use 3D printed parts to build the machine, and then mill parts out of aluminium once the machine is complete. ;)