Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

shapeoko 2 parts, where to find them?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by famsearch, May 4, 2018.

1. famsearch

famsearch New
    Builder

Since I'm almost done with the rebuild of my original Shapeoko 2 (widening the x axis to give me 19" of workable space). I have found that I have enough left over makerslide, and 20x20 extrusion, that I really don't need to add the laser (jtech photonics 2.8w) to the cnc, and can build a decent sized stand alone laser platform. The problem is finding the part that i need (gantry plates, z axis plates, end plates, etc). Looked all over the place, Inventables only carries the nema 23 fitted plates only, and went even as far as looking in Aliexpress, nothing. Any help in this area will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Have you considered using your newly rebuilt Shapeoko 2 to make them?

3. famsearch

famsearch New
    Builder

Unfortunately, I'm just a humble woodworker, with no experience with metal working on the cnc.

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

With the light loads you are dealing with these plates could easily made from wood or acrylic. And with the proper finish, hardwood plates could be every bit as beautiful as they are functional.

5. famsearch

famsearch New
    Builder

I like where you are going with that one Rick. But, I have found a solution. Remembering both that Inventables was very kind in publishing the drawings for both types of plates, and remembering that I have a friend that is in the cnc/laser cutting-engraving/plasma cutting business. He said that he would be more than happy to cut the plates for me. Now, I have to finish the Monster, then start in on project L.

Rick 2.0 likes this.