Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Settings laserweb 3 for K40 laser

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Peter Jacobsen, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Peter Jacobsen

Builder

We just bought a cheap K40 laser from China, and I would like to use Laserweb 3 as my primary software.
    Has anyone in here got settings for:
    PWM Max Value?
    Defaults DPI in both SVG and BMP?
    Laser diameter?
    Homing sequence?

Thanks in advance
    Peter

2. Anthony Bolgar

Anthony Bolgar Journeyman
    Builder

Hi Peter,

Not sure if you know, but LaserWeb only runns on the Smoothie controller card and the GRBL controller. If you just have the stock controller that came with the laser then you are limited to the CorelLaser software that shipped with your laser, and would need to upgrade your controller to either smoothieboard or GRBL (It is not very hard to do, hundreds of users have done so successfully.)

I write most of the documentation for the LaserWeb project. The best place to ask questions is in the LaserWeb/CNCWeb community located here: LaserWeb / CNCWeb - Community - Google+. The development team is very active on the community, willing to answer questions very quickly. And if you go to the github repository here: GitHub - openhardwarecoza/LaserWeb3: Open Source Laser Cutter / Engraver software. Supports gcode, svg, dxf, stl, png, jpg, bmp and navigate to the Wiki, there are walk throughs for every thing from installation, to multiple files in one job. But to answer the PWM question if it is a Smoothieboard in your machine, use 1.0 , if it is a GRBL controller use 255.
    For Default DPI, if you are using Inkscape to create your vectors or bitmaps, use 90, for AI use 96 . Laser diameter ranges on what type of focal length your lens is, but if it is a 50.8mm lens a value between 0.1 and 0.5 is good, try 0.3 to start. Homing sequence for Smoothieboard is G28, for Grbl it is $H (I think).

Peter Jacobsen likes this.
  3. Peter Jacobsen

Builder

Maybe a Smoothieboard up grade would be a good investment. Thanks.

4. Anthony Bolgar

Builder

You will not regret a Smoothieboard upgrade. It plays very nicely with Laserweb and the raster engraving is absolutely stunning quality. Many of us have done the upgrade, so we can walk you through any issues you might encounter. Just do not by an MKS Sbase clone of smoothieboard. They are poor quality and have violated the open source licensing of Smoothieboard. Azteeg is fine, they give back to the original developers.

MaryD and Peter Jacobsen like this.
  5. Peter Jacobsen

Builder

Is it this version I should get 3XC Smoothieboard - RobotSeed
    Will it replace the one in the K40 laser?
    I am already sick and tired of the Corel Laser software. Keeps crashing when importing files, and the output is sometimes weird.

/Peter Jacobsen

6. Anthony Bolgar

Builder

I would get the 4xC as it gives you the ability to use ethernet, as well as having the ability to add a z table and rotarty axis in the future.

MaryD and Peter Jacobsen like this.
  7. Peter Jacobsen

Builder

That makes sense. I just looked at a powertable on lightobject today