Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Serching 5 Axis CNC

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by Roma, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Roma

Roma New
    Builder

Hi all,
    idk if I'm putting this in the right place.
    Sorry my English, I'm using google.

I love cnc many models coming out anywhere.
    I'm thinking of making some.
    But I would like, if possible someone evolve the machine (CNC Machine OpenBuilds OX, To take one example) to be higher, and 5-axis. thus be able to create more complex objects.
    Think? see it possible?
    I am looking for answers, suggestions and ideas.

2. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Hi Roma,

Welcome to the Openbuilds forum.

Can you give us an example of the complex object you wish to create please.

Tweakie.

3. Roma

Roma New
    Builder

4. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Provided you had enough Z height could this type of twin axis, fitted to the machine bed, meet your requirements ??

Tweakie.

H3_type_instructions_a.jpg

Jamestat2 likes this.
  5. Roma

Roma New
    Builder

I've seen this axis.
    but If I could be, would you prefer something more like this:

6. Roma

Roma New
    Builder

7. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hey Roma.
    I've got a friend who's into all that sort of modeling. Ironman helmets as well.
    He even has his own Storm-trooper Outfit, a lot of it made by himself, and does Charity Stuff with lots of other Stormtroopers.

That machine above is sooooo cool. :cold: :thumbsup: If I had a machine like that, he'd be at my door everyday!
    Just what I want, one day! :rolleyes:

Gray

8. Jamestat2

Jamestat2 New
    Builder

After signing up and lurking around for a while I have come across a discussion that is along my lines of thinking. I'm not into the LARPing or COSplay. My hobby is RCing and I want to be able to design and build RC airplane fuselage/wings, RC car bodies and RC boat hulls for myself and friends and maybe make a few bucks here and there.

These models I want to build would mainly be made from EPS or XPS foam blocks and treated with a coating to make them hard for vacuum moldings or fiberglass moldings.

I want to design and build a 4-axis router with the A-axis being sunken down into the frame oriented along the X-axis and to have a removable flat bed for doing one sided 3d flat type objects too.

I have a large stockpile of 80/20 extruded aluminum anywhere from 3/4"X3/4" to 3"X3". (I work for a company that disassembles older industrial equipment and we resell the parts.) I plan to use the 3"X3" for the upper perimeter and legs as well as leg bracing of the frame. Thus incorporating the X-axis into that and putting the A-axis on a doubled-up rail that will allow the tailstock to be "manually" moved along that rail for longer and shorter jobs.

I need the working area to be able to accommodate a 4'X2' block of foam. Plus, with the addition of a removable flat top I will be able to do flat backed 3d type wall hangings etc.

I like your ideas in post #4 Tweakie! Although I am looking more for a lathe type headstock/tailstock type of set-up.

OH YEAH! As a side note! I'd like to also set up a scanning unit using Skanect and a Kinect with a turntable to scan objects for possibly making models on my 4-Axis Router.

Any Ideas for this design including stepper and controller as well as software packages would be greatly appreciated! I am relatively new to this CNC world but I am one heck of a manual machinist. Mods feel free to move this post to an appropriate area if you feel the need

#8 Jamestat2, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  9. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Hi James,

Welcome to the community.

There are just sooo many variations of design when it comes to CNC machines you really need to just keep researching to find a design that you think meets your needs.

As for the control stuff the Gecko G540 will take a lot of beating but it is not the cheapest. For my part I use Mach3 as the machine control software and Vectric Aspire as the CAD/CAM - again not the cheapest solution but the 'you get what you pay for' rule, to a large extent, seems to apply here.

Tweakie.

10. Jamestat2

Jamestat2 New
    Builder

I've been thinking about my design for a while and last night I started some pen and ink (OH do people still do that!? At least I do!) sketches to get ideas out of my head. I've literally looked at hundreds of designs and have taken parts from some of them for mine.

Prices on the items you have suggested don't seem too awful bad.

11. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

I think that's basically what I did (my project started about 10 years ago) and from the initial design it just evolved. No matter how you try, the project is never finished - there is always something to add or improve on so the machine becomes a hobby in itself. I does soak up a fair bit of cash but overall it is probably a lot cheaper than say playing golf.
    If it's any help to you this was my laser addition http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/co2-laser.565/ which also shows the basic construction of my router machine. As you will see no two machines are ever alike.

Tweakie.

12. Jamestat2

Jamestat2 New
    Builder

Very nice! Bravo!

I have thought about the laser too. A lot of RC airplane kits are laser cut balsa (a 40watt laser will do that just fine) and I would like to get into that aspect and do some of my own designs. At the moment I am just looking to get the basic machine running for my beginning projects I would like to work on (and some my girlfriend has in mind! LOL!). Then I would like to evolve to the laser!