Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

running grbl 0.9

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Bill Lawrence1, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Bill Lawrence1

Builder

I recently purchased a C10, 3018 mini mill engraver with laser features the instruction are in Chinese and I don't read Chinese, so my question is the program check runs fine, the image in the viewer looks great, but as soon as I hit the send button the machine start running the program as if I entered a mirror image command which I have not so my question is there a parameter in the setting of GRBL, that would correct this issue, it appears to be only in the GRBL controller as I downloaded CAMatic ant it looks fine, the viewer for the machine looks fine but the machine runs in reverse

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You need to make sure that when you jog the machine the tool moves in the correct direction.
    The directions are
    X+ moves to the right
    Y+ moves away from you
    Z+ moves up away from the work

You can reverse the directions in the GRBL setup. All the details are in the Wiki.
    Note that you should get this working but later you should also upgrade to GRBL 1.1 as it has much better laser support.

you mention the 'viewer for the machine'. what software is that? Common ones are bCNC and OpenbuildsCONTROL.
    In particular OpenbuildsCONTROL makes it very easy to change settings. You can get it from here .

Alex Chambers likes this.
  3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

But, it only supports Grbl 1.1
    Grbl 1.1 came out in Dec 2016! gnea/grbl (; so I'm sure you'll understand why we wont be supporting Grbl 0.9 anymore (;

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Please note @David the swarfer referred to TOOL movement - I believe your machine has a moving table - Y+ will move the table towards you.
    Alex.

David the swarfer likes this.
  5. Bill Lawrence1

Builder

thanks for you answers I purchased the mini engraver from Gearbest advertised as Alfawise 3018 it was delivered and i found it was a counterfeit product beware of Gearbest, but the system only reads the old v 0.9, and I think i will attempt to flip the text mirror image to see if that straightens out the issue

6. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

I am probably speaking out of turn here but could you not simply reverse a wire pair on the affected stepper and flip the axis instead?

7. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

You should still be able to change the direction settings @Bill Lawrence1. Do you know what software you are using to send G-code from your PC?
    You are lucky in a way - many of those Chinese clones use a pirated copy of Mach3 - at least you have a grbl controller. I'm guessing your control electronics are Arduino based - post a pic of the control board if possible.
    Alex.

8. Bill Lawrence1

Builder

thanks Alex I will though currently at work I tried upgrading to grbl 1.01 but it never opened so I am not sure about using anything else but I did find reversed characters, and hoping
    I can program in freecad, using that script and creating a grbl g-code program I also downloaded CAMotics as to see if it works ok I will post images tonight

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Best solution in this case...

Rick 2.0 likes this.
  10. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

@Rick 2.0's suggestion was probably the easiest (and quickest).
    Alex.