Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Routy CNC Router (V-Slot Belt & Pinion)

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Nov 11, 2013.

1. DarkAlchemist

DarkAlchemist Well-Known
    Builder

[​IMG]

2. DarkAlchemist

DarkAlchemist Well-Known
    Builder

Anyone have any ideas on which spindle to get that will allow me to use a Super Fly Cutter from Tormach? I don't need their level, or expense, of a machine but that cutter is just too awesome.

3. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Well-Known
    Builder

A high-hp one. The Kress 1050FME would probably handle it well enough - or a 3HP router with a Super-PID type speed controller.

4. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Awesome indeed but we would be unlikely to sucessfully use this type of tooling on anything less than an extremely stout and rigid type of machine.

Tweakie.

5. DarkAlchemist

DarkAlchemist Well-Known
    Builder

Some odd reason I am not getting updates to this thread now.

Anyway, 3hp? WOW :( Well, the collet size for it looks absolutely HUGE in the videos I have watched so that was a major concern as well.

If I can't use that what fly cutter can I use to make a smooth finish on 6061 with a normal 500w spindle?

6. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Well-Known
    Builder

Not a metalworker, sorry.

If it was timber I would say use a 1.5" bottom smoother :)

500W is small. My handheld Makita trimmer is 800w, my Kress is 1050 and my water-cooled spindle is 2.2kw. And you are using 110V, aren't you? Not as much torque as 220V.

7. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

8. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Well-Known
    Builder

What are you, my wife? If it says 1.5HP, being a male of the technical variety, that automatically goes through my Bloke Filter (tm) and comes out as 3HP.

Maybe they build you differently in the US ;) That lack of voltage, maybe...

9. DarkAlchemist

DarkAlchemist Well-Known
    Builder

Yep, 117vac here so stuck at a limit as to what I can use. We have 234v but it is not the same as in Europe.

10. DarkAlchemist

DarkAlchemist Well-Known
    Builder

How are those from littlemachineshop? I am scared to touch anything from China these days. I love how the Spindles all say "run out less than .005mm" on Ebay.

11. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

DarkAlchemist, we use a gas clothes dryer which means I have an unclaimed 230V outlet in the garage, an outlet just begging for a Tormach PCNC 1100 to run a Superfly cutter. The problem is that no amount of begging will ever be sufficient to get my wife to allow me spend $8500 on one.

12. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

For $18 how good would you expect them to be? On the opposite side of that I don't think Littlemachineshop would sell them if they were total junk, that doesn't seem to be their nature. You might contact them to get their thoughts on them.

13. DarkAlchemist

DarkAlchemist Well-Known
    Builder

Yeah, if it is made for 60 hertz 234Vac then fantastic but then we hit the brick wall of the prices of the two models. I saw those prices and I
    [​IMG]

14. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Well-Known
    Builder

Dunno about Europe, but how about the rest of the world? The only countries using 110v are those riding on the coattails of the US - like the Philippines, Japan, etc.

AFAIK there are only around 30 countries using 110 and 25 of them are the Americas. There are others with dual voltage, like Saudi, Afghan, etc. - but because you put some infrastructure in.

Time to ditch that old worry-wart 110V and come over to the forces of light ;) It won't kill ya, honest.

15. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Remember, all houses in the US have 220-230V as that's the way it comes in off the pole. It's just that most of it gets split into 110-115V at the breaker box. There are still a few lines that get past including ones for electric clothes dryers, electric ovens, the ac compressor, etc. If your breaker box is in the garage, it's fairly easy to tap in as long as you have the capacity to spare.

16. DarkAlchemist

DarkAlchemist Well-Known
    Builder

You are very correct and I think they continue to use 117vac here because of how many houses have been built, and retrofitted, for it. Would be a disaster to change now but they should imo.

17. mightyevo

mightyevo New
    Builder

ok.
    anyone here able to recommend speeds/feeds/depths for cutting the alu plate for the ox spindle on a routy with a dremel and 2amp nema 17's?
    just got the plate in and am not confident 100% in my lil routy's ability here...

18. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Don't forget to do a test run in something like MDF or similar. Same thickness is best.
    If it's going to go pear shape, better it be on a cheap piece of MDF, than your nice bit of ali.
    Run the whole program from start to finish, just to be sure. Yes the speeds could be different, but I'd keep them, the depth of cut, and the paths the same.
    Better safe than sorry.

Maybe, Robert or Tweakie, can help you out with regard to the milling details?

Gray

19. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

... just don't use your best aluminum cutting bits when testing on MDF.

20. Robert Hummel

Robert Hummel Custom Builder

For your setup I suggest 4 ipm plunge rate, 10 ipm feed and 1/64 depth for multi pass.
    Vac the chips and brush lube with veg oil

mightyevo likes this.
  21. mightyevo

mightyevo New
    Builder

robert, tested your settings, everything worked really well on the first part until i tried to profile it out. it got stuck and pulled out of position. is this a feed issue or maybe i need higher tool speeds for profiles?
    anyways thank you for the confidence/advice on my first metal cut. kinda gutted the profile is bad, rest of it looks pretty good(well outta 4 small holes and 1 big, 1 small could be better and the big is a much smoother cut on one side than the other (like the x+ y+ corner looks a little shabby))
    really hopeful for this now and not as long as id have though either
    thanx
    mevo

22. Robert Hummel

Robert Hummel Custom Builder

What type of end mill are you using?

Your feed may be a little fast still for your setup or your end mill gummed up

Really no one can give you a true feed /speed setting because in the diy world every mill is different.
    Your best bet it to play with the settings and find what works for you.

23. EvanKou

EvanKou New
    Builder

Could we put something like this together which can also move farther in the z-axis? Be it the stage or head that is moving. We want to use it with a MIG welder to create a make-shift metal printer. Not sure if it would be easier to maintain control of movement with the welder or the bed minding the change of weight due to the metal deposition. We are looking for a design that is already out there which we can build easily, is rigid, and can customize slightly to work with the welder.

We would really appreciate any help!

24. mightyevo

mightyevo New
    Builder

hi
    im using a 3mm carbide i bought on ebay-
    "3MM - Carbide End Mill Square End 3 Flute TiAln Xi 55HRC"
    i tried a few more times slightly shallower, slightly slower, climb, conventional etc, and got similar results(pockets cut well then on profile 3rd or 4th pass the tool "bites" in and gets stuck before going on a rampage through the part)
    will the dremel take this kinda abuse? will routy?
    would more power in the steppers help?
    sorry for all the questions, but im starting to go through quite a bit of aluminium
    my main question(if you ignore all others please tell me this) why are profiles behaving so differently from the rest of the cut? are they harder?
    thnx
    mevo

25. mightyevo

mightyevo New
    Builder

hi
    this would work provided you used a longer leadscrew and piece of extrusion for z axis. my problem is the actual carriage doesnt move so youd be at risk of hitting it with your model after a bit of height
    thnx
    mevo

26. WildManDriving

Builder

Hey All,
    I'm unable to open the build plans for the Routy, is that just because I'm on my phone (comp still in box somewhere from move) or is there a program/app I need to read the file?

*Edit, believe I've worked it out that I need SketchUp.

Q2, Is it as simple as buying the cnc-usb-controller-mk2-4 or alike and downloading the software and using your computer as the interface to control the "Routy" to set your zero points?

Thanks
    M.Ellis

#506 WildManDriving, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  27. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Well-Known
    Builder

It's a Sketchup file, but without knowing what kind of phone you have, I have no idea what you can do to open it.

28. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Well-Known
    Builder

29. Greenman

Greenman New
    Builder

Just wanted to let people know I have laid in an extensive supply of Openbuild parts at Opensourceluthiersupply.com. Check out our site. Thanks

30. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

Hello @WildManDriving
    Not sure about mobile view app as I have not tried it yet, but you can view/edit the downloaded models with free SketchUp found here:
    http://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-make

cnc-usb-controller-mk2-4 is a USB breakout board that has it own software. So the way it works is you connect stepper motor driver boards to the CNC-USB board and then you can use your computer to control them. The CNC-USB boards are nice because it allows you to choice the stepper drivers you want for your build as not all drivers are created equal.
    Read more about how these boards work here:
    http://www.planet-cnc.com/index.php?page=hardware
    There are lots of places to get stepper drivers on the net and I am sure that some of the guys here that have used them can share links to ones they like.
    If you look here on the Planet-CNC shop they also offer drivers as well.
    http://www.planet-cnc.com/index.php?page=shop
    There are also higher end gecko drivers: http://www.geckodrive.com/geckodrive-step-motor-drives.html
    and many more (just search stepper drivers) to choose from.
    If you need more help on driver choices or anything related to the CNC-USB boards you can ask on their forums as well. This is where the boards designer hangs out to answer questions: http://forum.planet-cnc.com/
    All that being said you can also use some of the newer USB all in one plug and play CNC drivers. These drivers have the ability to drive most builds but if your going to need more power you will want to go with the CNC-USB board and separate drivers.
    http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/cnc-xpro-driver.643/
    http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/controll-board-for-cnc-projects.961/
    Hope this helps
    Mark