Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Router wire

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Derek Reich, Dec 28, 2023.

1. Derek Reich

Builder

Is there any compelling reason against removing the outer insulation from the router wire, and feeding the wires through the wiring chain on the X and Y axis to the spare DC port on the power supply? Seems like it would be a much cleaner assembly and prevent any possibility of the router wire getting hung up just lying across the back of the table. I'm a total newbie at all this, just assembled my 1515 last week.

2. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Storing the router cable in any form with the other wires in the drag chain could be problematic. Best to hang the router cable, in its sheath, from above the machine if possible.

3. Derek Reich

Builder

Problematic how? EMI?

4. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

EMI yes, I run my AC powered router through my chain but all my wire is shielded and drains earthed, no problems.

5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Compelling reason #1: AC routers don't run off DC power supplies
    Compelling reason #2: Electrocution. The insulated jacket covers and protects against any potential cracking in the wire insulation.

If you're looking for a reasonable approach to keeping the cord up and away, consider the swing arm approach.

It's also not that difficult to build in an opposing cable chain to house the router cord if you want to keep everything down close to the machine.

6. Derek Reich

Builder

Well, electrocution is definitely a compelling reason not to do that. I wasn't overly concerned about the interior insulation cracking as I would have replaced most of the wire with 600v silicone-insulated braided wire anyway. But I didn't catch that the output of the power supply is DC. I guess I would have once I went to wire the plug, but at that point it would have been too late. Guess I'll go with the swing arm after all! I'm probably going to connect some dust control anyway and would need the swing arm for that. Thanks for saving me some grief!