Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Router/Spindle for C-Beam Mill?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Prometheus, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Prometheus

Builder

I am wondering which heart I should give this little beast. I have been looking at the Dewalt 611, 618 and Makita RT0701C as well as This 1.5kw spindle. I DO plan on being able to cut aluminum so I want to build ahead so when the time comes, I am already setup for the job. The only thing I am worried about for the spindle is if it will be too heavy or will not fit on the Z axis for the C-Beam Mill. Any and all ino/input would be appreciated.

TIA!

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I like my Makita. I like that it goes down to 10,000 rpms. I like that it is quiet. A spindle is probably better, but I do tot run my CNC for long periods of time. I think of something I need, I draw it up, generate g-code, clamp down the aluminum or wood work piece, and cut it out. Sometimes it sits for months without doing anything but acting as a "perfect height" workbench I build other things on.o_O It truly is the perfect height for soldering and doing other things.:) So, My decision for the Makita was based on the low RPMs, the $99 price tag, and If I ever need a trim router, I now have one. I just could not justify the spindle price, and i was concerned about quality since the brands were unknown to me.

I am not telling you one way or the other which to get, just why I chose mine. Dewalt is also a great brand, and easier to find a mount for it and similar in price to the Makita. The one drawback to my Makita is that I had to order a 65 mm mount from China. The one I got is great, but I have had a hard time figuring out the best way to mount the vacuum hose. I am on my third version. That being said, there is now more options from China for the mounting of 65mm spindles. Some are curiously similar to the Openbuilds/Shapeoko mounts.

3. Prometheus

Builder

I have heard MANY people complain about the Makita failing quickly compared to others. I like that option for the reduced noise compared to the DWP611 (I have had 611 in the past). I did not want to go with a cheap spindle as they are usually not powerful enough till you get 1.5-2kw in order to cut metal. I also have 3D printers so fabricating a temporary spacer to use with the openbuilds clamp will not be an issue till one is cut from delrin. I am also going to be using my Super-PID along side my Panucatt Gradus board for the controls so I need to make sure the motor is going to work with that setup..

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I have not heard about Makita's failing. What causes them to fail? The nice thing about Makita for me is that there is a parts and repair shop that will completely rebuild any Makita tool for $35. At least they did a couple years ago.

5. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Parts are easy to get for both the Makita and the Dewalt.. cutting noise (and dust collection) is louder than both routers especially when cutting metal, and I have cut aluminum with both. There is no lack of power to turn an 1/8" bit.
    These hobby grade router machines are not ridged enough to plow through metal so the spindle is not the limiting factor.
    If you plan on doing serious production then a spindle makes for a good investment. But i can get the brushes for a $90 Makita for $8 and they will last more than a year at my workload.
    my 2 cents :)

Prometheus likes this.
  6. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

Another vote for Makita here. One note: it is not grounded, so you'll want to add a ground (I also use the Gradus). I don't know if your SuperPid will take care of that or not. I've toyed with the idea of adding speed control, but I have found it easy to just make little marks on the dial where I do most of my cutting successfully. I've been cutting 1/8" aluminum with no problems. You'll probably want to get a 1/8" collet for it (not a reducer).