Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Router for OX

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Franco Ponticelli, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Franco Ponticelli

Builder

I originally started my project using a 400W spindle bought on ebay. Unfortunately it proved to be a cheap (or defective) product and returning it seems awfully expensive.
    That said I think I am going to buy one of these two:

Bosch 1617: http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVS-2-1-Variable-Speed-Router/dp/B00004TKHV/
    Porter-Cable 892: http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-892-2-1-4-Horsepower-Router/dp/B0000DCBK0/

Any word of advice? Are these too heavy for the OX?

Bonus point, how can I recycle the 400W Spindle? It works, it just has a lot of run off.

2. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

Look if you can have adapters to be able to have an 1/8" bit in them. My Makita 3709 router was too heavy for my nema17 motor, so I had to change for a nema23...

3. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

4. Franco Ponticelli

Builder

I just received my Bosch 1617 and is already installed. Weight doesn't seem to be an issue and I will report back after a few cuts.

5. brizzo

brizzo New
    Builder

Franco,

Was the 400w spindle a brushless model with a hall sensor and motor controller? Did you measure runout on the spindle shaft, or the tool in a collet? I had been looking at these on eBay, as it would be nice to have a spindle that isn't so loud, light weight, and with a flat torque curve across the rpm range.

I have previously used the Bosch 1617 on other machines. After about 150 hours of v-carving, I had to replace the lower and upper main bearings ($10). Nice to hear the OX design can handle a 3.5kg router

6. Franco Ponticelli

Builder

This is the model I bought (not the same vendor) http://www.ebay.com/itm/400W-High-s...ing-Milling-DC-12V-48V-12000rpm-/351128810367

I don't have the tool to measure the run-off but it was very visible just by turning the collet with my fingers. I don't know if I was unlucky or if it is just a cheap product but I will not try it again.

I am fine with replacing the bearings from time to time on the Bosch, I only hope it is a simple enough operation.

I made a few sample cuts with the OX and it really works fine, the only issue is when the steppers are not powered and the router is running, then there is not enough resistance on the Z and the head will slowly "fall" ... of course it is something quite serious to take under consideration, since having random holes in your design is not the best thing.

7. brizzo

brizzo New
    Builder

Ahh, yes. I read a few poor reviews on that china-made DC spindle. Here is a link to the spindle I was considering for my build: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121386448847 (welcome any feedback if someone has some)

Don't get me wrong, the Bosch is a great choice. Bearings are simple to replace, and parts can easily be ordered :)

8. Slewratesarego

Builder

Good to know. Thanks for that.

9. Slewratesarego

Builder

Hi Brizzo. Did you end up going with this spindle? In the process of designing. Looks like a good option.