Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Rolling resistance

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by Aytik Vjo, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Aytik Vjo

Aytik Vjo New
    Builder

Hey, for anyone that's used all types, how does the rolling resistance between the normal V wheel vs. the mini V wheel. vs the Xtreme V wheel compare?

Do you find that rolling resistance is different when using V-Slot vs. Open rail?

My application involves very light loads, but at higher accelerations at a higher frequency than is typical. Positional accuracy is less important than the motion profile.

Anyone with any experience on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

I would personally guess that Delrin V-wheel in anodised V-slot would be your best bet- I tested my rail by moving the carriage quite violently back and forth under minimal weight load. Smooth as butter.

Technically, I imagine that Open rail would do better because it's not "pinching", but I don't know if it comes in anodised and under light loading (under 0.5lb per wheel), the pinch is basically non-existent. You could correct for this using mini V-wheel, but I'd guess that the rolling characteristics of the larger wheel significantly outperform the improved acceleration from solidity of the smaller wheels.

Note the use of the word "guess". I only have direct knowledge of Delrin V-wheels and anodised V-slot, but that's because I picked them specifically for their smoothness together rather than strength.