Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Reverse engineer this desk

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Traxxtar, Jan 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Traxxtar

Traxxtar New
    Builder

These desks are available only in NZ and AUS. :( Anyone know how to reverse engineer the size and dimensions possibly by looking at the photos and then generate a Fusion360 file?

Elevate

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Some dimensions are provided on their kickstarter page. Their promotional material seems to want to gloss over the required prop at the back.

[​IMG]

3. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

I hope they put spacers between that laptop/notebook and the peace of wood, or some holes for airflow, else it will be over soon for the computer. Looks like you only need a day to draw a copy from scratch and another day to make a production plan ;).

Edit: I would make just a new design, you can do better than that. "After a year of R&D" LOL!!!, imagine, and that with a team!

They ship all over the world it seems :D.

-Ronald

4. Traxxtar

Traxxtar New
    Builder

Spacers for cooling? Not needed. It's no different than setting it on a kitchen counter, desk at work; it's all the same.

It's a bit taller than I need, and those round hole ends you can rework to be just a straight slot. But this is easily a CNC cutout and would save you a lot of money, plus the satisfaction of DIY. ;)

5. Ronald van Arkel

Look closely, the table size is smaller than most laptops, thus when your laptop has a fan sucking from the bottom it will be blocked. It was just to warn you an piss a bit on the bad design of that thing. Sure t looks good from a distance ;).

-Ronald

6. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

As he intends to cut his own, he can size the platform according to whatever size he needs.

7. Slobberknocker

Builder

They still make laptops that pull from the bottom??.....oh yeah....apple.;)

8. Ronald van Arkel

Most HP crap actually :D. But you should leave a few mm of space from the bottom of any laptop to the desk. Older laptops mostly have a fan sucking from the bottom and blowing out the side or back, I didn't check the latest models as I know that TDP went down on the CPU and "chipset", as far as you can call it a "set" these days.

-Ronald

9. Traxxtar

Traxxtar New
    Builder

Most laptops have little spacer legs to keep them from being completely flat on a table/shelf surface....even Apple. ;)

10. Ronald van Arkel

Just make sure, like Rick indicated, that the table is wide enough. Like its shown on that photo Rick posted, it might be that those small knobs are on the edge or even hanging next to the board :D.

But, you could just have 2 supporting legs instead of a small table sticking out.

-Ronald

11. Hidro669

Hidro669 New
    Builder

my best guess going by the number of layers on the plywood (8) would make it 1 inch. so I would blow up the picture, grab a drafting ruler and go from there. or take your own ergonomic measurements such as comfortable desk height and then figure out eye height and monitor center on the vertical plane.

12. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

yeah, just measure your laptop, and yourself.
    for yourself, you want the average keycap height on the laptop to be level with your elbow (arm bent with forearm level with ground) when you are standing in your normal shoes.

That is about the only critical dimension for ergonomics, the rest is just what you want (like look level or look down at the screen). If you are plannign on using expensive hardwood then do make at least one prototype from cheap plywood first, just to check sizes and angles.