Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Retro-fit a CNC engraver or router to make a 3D printer?

Discussion in '3D printers' started by rod jones, Sep 16, 2015.

1. rod jones

rod jones New
    Builder

I am new to this idea, I have a Xenetech 3D printer that I have used in my shop for more than 15 years, bought it used in 2000 but the control MPU finally cratered (showy failure, lots of smoke & bad smell). At any rate Xenetech wants about $5K to repair and replace the MPU, says this one is totally obsolete. I had been using the engraver to engrave steel sideplates for machineguns, It served well for several years and would entertain the notion of setting it up to be convertible to a 3D printing mode and also remain useable as a two axis router. Would appreciate comments and or ideas. I have some electronics background.

2. runninfarmer

runninfarmer Well-Known
    Builder

I did a similar project with a 3 axis auto pipettor lab instrument. I was lucky and the machine had stock 1.8 degree steppers on it. If yours are similar, then I'd just get an arduino/RAMPs board setup with some endstops. That will only run your $35 or so.