Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Resume job in Universal GCode Sender?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Techvette, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Techvette

Techvette New
    Builder

Apologies if this isn't the right forum.

I sometimes have to stop a job in progress for whatever reason (broken bit, driver overheated, I need to go grab more beer, etc. )

I know EstlCAM will let you resume a job from where it left off, even if you have to reload the file. I haven't seen any way to do this in UGS. Earlier today, my X axis missed a few steps. I really just needed to rehome the machine, then have it go back to where it was and resume. Instead, I had to open up Fusion, modify the stock to take into the account the 1/2" of material that had already been removed, re-export the CAM and start over. (The alternative was watching it run around cutting air for an hour.)

That sort of thing is not entertaining.

Any suggestions?

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Estlcam. ;) I like it. I broke a bit last weekend (underestimated the cut and had a hold down screw head in the way.) I put a new bit in, and re zeroed the z and started it again.

3. Techvette

Techvette New
    Builder

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with EstlCAM. It's pretty nice - I just wish it supported vector formats that were easier to generate in precise dimensions. (And why on Earth doesn't Inkscape have a way to let you type in exact coordinates??)

4. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Estlcam is great, if you want precise make DXF files on a cad program, a good free one is Draftsight :)

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I may have to look at Draftsight. Currently I export the drawings I create in Fusion 360 as DXFs. But I have never tried to do it any other way.

6. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Draftsight is just like Autocad, even the keyboard commands are the same, plenty of YouTube tutorials, it's simple 2D drawing.
    Cheers
    Gary