Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

resolution of acro frame

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by JoeName, Oct 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. JoeName

JoeName New
    Builder

I'm going to build another laser for engraving, currently using the 20x20 frame, and it's a wonderful thing. Going to build another of the same size (I could actually go smaller) but I need the resolution to be quite higher. I'm getting a laser made that will be able to engrave at 10 microns. Is there a different set of pulley's I can install that will take advantage of this resolution? I'm hoping to be able to get 1000 dpi.

Joe

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

GT2 14T Pulley GT2-2M Timing Pulley - 14 Tooth that comes in the Acro kit:

At 1/8th microstepping is already 0.0175 mm per step
    BlackBox can do 32 microsteps (see docs:blackbox:microstepping [OpenBuilds Documentation]) although we wouldn't recommend it (to get good feedrates without hitting max grbl step-rates and lower torque) but that gets you down to 0.0044mm per step

1000dpi = 1000/25.4 = 39.37 pixels per mm = 0.0254mm step size, so even 1/8th will give you that much

upload_2020-10-30_22-52-42.png

But physics will get in the way of the theoretical numbers: fast moving mass accelerating, decelerating, causes beam deflections, belt stretch, vibrations etc - something you may want to keep in mind to balance your expectations with reality :) - There will be tradeoffs (fast vs accurate etc) unfortunately

If you could share a link I'd like to take a look myself
    With a typical colaminated lens setup with 30mm focal distance, best you can hope for is 0.03mm spot size, and that has a very shallow depth of field

#2 Peter Van Der Walt, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  3. JoeName

JoeName New
    Builder

Sounds reasonable. What would be your recommendation to take advantage of this 10 micron laser I'm getting? I use LightBurn, and it's already feeding so much through the Arduino, if it goes slower, no worries.. I've had many multiple day burns, but I'm getting the results I need. So speed, not that much of a concern.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Lightburn is the best option for Grbl based boards at this time. Beyond that you need to look at a proper Laser DSP

5. JoeName

JoeName New
    Builder

I will look into this. Thank you

6. JoeName

JoeName New
    Builder

It's currently pre-production, I'll check with the manufacturer if it's ok to share any information about it yet.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.